This article explains the process to perform a granular Microsoft SharePoint restore using Ontrack PowerControls.
- Datto SIRIS
- Ontrak PowerControls for Microsoft Exchange
- Ontrak PowerControls for Microsoft SQL Server
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows Server 2008
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
Supported SharePoint Versions:
- SharePoint 2007
- SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2013
Ontrack PowerControls can read .mdf, .ndf, and .ldf files.
- Download Ontrack for SharePoint
- Check where your SharePoint Server Site stores its data
- Mount a File Restore
- Use Ontrack to connect to the source and target
The below video provides an overview of the process:
Download and install Ontrack PowerControls for Microsoft SharePoint on a Windows PC that can connect to the SharePoint. To do this:
1. Log into the GUI for your Datto appliance. Go to the Advanced menu, and click Granular Restore. Click to download the Executable and the License File.
2. Install and activate the program. You do not need to install PowerControls on the SharePoint server, but you must be able to connect to the server from the machine you install it on.
To be able to retrieve your SharePoint data, you will need to know its storage location. If you do not have this information, log into your SharePoint server to verify.
1. To start the file restore, click the Restore tab of the Datto appliance. You will see the page as shown in Figure 2.
2. Choose the backup set that you want to restore from. Then, select File Restore.
3. Choose the recovery point that has the data that you need.
4. Click Start File Restore. You will see the Mount Recovery Point screen.
5. Click the Mount button, and you will see the Samba share information.
1. In the Ontrack program, click the File menu, and click Open Source, as shown in Figure 3.
2. Select Add, and browse to the SharePoint datastore location. Select the .mdf, .ndf, and *.ldf files you want to restore. Click Finish to complete the process.
3. Click Finish. The the restored Content Database will display in the left panel of the GUI. Selecting any item will display its contents in the right-hand plane. You can use the Export feature to copy the data to a location of your choice.
Connecting to the SharePoint Target
1. In the Ontrack program, click the File menu and click Open Target.
2. Enter your SharePoint Server Site URL and credentials. Click Next. Ontrack will display the contents of your SharePoint server, allowing you to copy anything that you need to restore back to the production environment.