How do I use vouchers in Datto Networking?
- Datto Networking
Vouchers allow administrators to control network access on a per-user basis by creating unique codes for each user.
You can set vouchers to use specific time increments or bandwidth tiers. They are ideal for hotels, coffee shops, apartments, or other places where it is necessary to limit users' access and authorized usage time.
- You keep control of the look and feel of your splash page.
- You can create business card-sized vouchers and customize them with your text and logo.
- You can offer multiple bandwidth tiers, or offer a free lower-speed service tier and one or more paid tiers at higher speeds.
- You can combine vouchers with an open network by keeping the standard Continue button and the new voucher button access. This feature enables a free service level with low bandwidth requirements, plus additional higher speed options for which you can charge users.
- You can set the number of users per voucher to support multiple devices—laptops, smartphones, etc.—under one voucher. In a hotel room or apartment, for example, you may want to allow five or so users per voucher.
- With automatic MAC Authentication, you can allow users to roam between nodes without seeing the splash page again.
Create and edit a splash page
1. Navigate to a device web session for your access point, then select Configure → SSID.
2. In the Captive Portal section, select the Splash page toggle to enable the feature, and select Edit Splash Page, shown in Figure 1.
3. When editing your splash page, decide if you will require vouchers for all users or if you will provide a base level of service without vouchers. Voucher-free network access provides connecting users a lower amount of bandwidth for checking email and light web browsing without a voucher, and offer higher amounts of bandwidth for users connecting with a voucher.
- To provide a voucher-free base bandwidth: Keep the standard Free Access section and the Continue button in addition to the Passcode Access and Purchase fields.
- To require vouchers for all access: Delete the Continue button, leaving only the Passcode and Purchase fields.
At any time, a user authenticated using the Free Access option can enter http://logout in their browser to return to the splash page.
For more information about editing a Splash Page, read our article on Using the Splash Page Editor.
Adjust voucher settings
Datto Networking allows you to configure the following options to customize access:
- Bandwidth Throttling: Enable this option to throttle users with non-voucher access. Voucher-specific throttles will override this setting.
- Client Force Timeout: This option allows you to specify the number of minutes before the client's session times out and returns to the splash pagge.
- Require Vouchers: This option requires a valid voucher on splash pages.
- Block Unauthenticated Users: This option blocks all ports until a user navigates past the splash page. If unchecked, Datto Networking will only block web browsing. Enabling the feature will initially disable services such as email, instant messengers, VoIP, etc., but will require first opening a browser to use any Internet services.
1. Select Manage → Vouchers from the left pane in the dashboard. This link opens a table showing your existing vouchers, which you can edit, renew, delete, export and reprint as needed. If you haven’t created any vouchers yet, this table should be empty.
2. There are three options in the top right corner above the table: Create New, Edit Voucher Settings, and Actions to take on existing vouchers.
3. Click the Create New button. This opens a page asking you to enter several options, including:
- Quantity: This option allows you to set the number of vouchers to create/print.
- Voucher code: If you would like to use a custom code enter it here, otherwise the Create Vouchers feature will generate a random one for you.
- Paper Size: This option allows you select the size of the paper that the voucher will print on.
- Comment: This option allows you to enter a note that will appear on the Vouchers page, such as room number, last name, etc. Comments will not appear on the voucher(s) when printed out.
- Duration (hours): This option allows you to enter the number of hours each voucher remain active.
- Max Devices: This option allows you to enter the maximum number of devices (computers, smartphones, gaming consoles, etc.) that can use a voucher. Allowed values are 0-9. Use 0 for unlimited devices.
- Download limit (Mbps): This option allows you to enter a download limit in Mbps.
- Upload limit (Mbps): This option allows you to enter an upload limit in Mbps.
- Purge after (days): This option allows you to enter when Datto Networking will automatically purge an unused voucher. You can enter a number of days in this field.
When finished choosing voucher settings, click Create Vouchers.
Click Print vouchers button as shown in Figure 5 to print your vouchers, or select the Edit Voucher Settings icon next to the Create New button as shown in Figure 4 to customize the look of the vouchers before printing.
You can configure the following Voucher Settings:
- Duration Text: This option allows you to enter text that indicates how many hours the voucher will remain active.
- Access Text: This option allows you to enter text on that displays above voucher code.
- Show Border: When enabled, this option will draw a border around each voucher.
- Show Image: When enabled, you can use Browse... button next to Voucher Image to select and upload an image that will display on your voucher.
- Share Vouchers: When enabled, vouchers created on this network will be usable on all other networks under this account.
When your settings are correct, click the Save Changes on the top-right corner of the Voucher Settings page.
Edit/View Vouchers page
After you create a voucher, you can view them by navigating to Manage → Vouchers in the Datto Networking Portal. The page will list all vouchers in one table, as shown in Figure 7.
Select the gear icon as shown in Figure 3 and Figure 8 to display available actions you can perform on the voucher. You can edit, delete, renew, reprint, or export information about the vouchers in .CSV or XML format. You can perform these actions by selecting the gear icon next to individual vouchers, or by selecting multiple vouchers and using the gear icon in the top right corner of the table.
Test the voucher
When you connect to the SSID on which you enabled vouchers, you should see your new splash page. To test the system, enter one of the voucher codes you created and connect.