This article contains software release notes for Version 2.0 and below of the Datto Windows Agent.
This version of the Datto Windows Agent is no longer in active development, but it will continue to receive maintenance updates.
For Version 2.1 and above, see our Datto Windows Agent (DWA) 2.1: Software Release Notes article.
For guidance about which Datto Windows Agent version is right for your protected system, review our Getting Started with the Datto Windows Agent article.
- Datto Windows Agent 2.0 and below
- Agent Version 2.0.9
- Agent Version 18.104.22.168
- Agent Version 22.214.171.124
- Agent Version 126.96.36.199
- Agent Version 2.0.7
- Agent Version 188.8.131.52
- Agent Version 2.0.5
- Agent Version 2.0.3
- Agent Version 184.108.40.206
- Agent Version 220.127.116.11
- Agent Version 18.104.22.168
- Agent Version 22.214.171.124 / Driver Version 126.96.36.199
- Agent Version 188.8.131.52 / Driver Version 184.108.40.206
Agent Version 2.0.9
- AGENTS-1269: Resolved an issue which could cause logging failure of certain errors related to volume discovery
- AGENTS-453: Fixed an issue which could cause the agent software to be unable to pull new certs (2.0.X)
- AGENTS-1406: Resolved a scenario in which backups for systems protected by the Datto Windows Agent could fail with the error, "err: 33"
- AGENTS-1422: Resolved a scenario in which backups for systems protected by the Datto Windows Agent could fail with the error, "system time to local time failed"
- AGENTS-1452: Fixed an issue which caused the backup agent software to incorrectly report Windows Server 2019 installations as Windows Server 2016
- AGENTS-1479: Added logic to protect backup threads from getting hung on long-running VSS operations
- AGENTS-1611: Improved the agent installer to prevent the installation of Version 2.0 agent software over existing Version 2.1installations
- AGENTS-1631: Improved Windows Update backup validation to avoid unnecessary differential merges.
Agent Version 220.127.116.11
- AGENTS-1347: Resolved an issue which prevented iSCSI fallback from functioning on DWA 2.0
- AGENTS-1350: Added logic to check for and prevent installation of DWA version 2.0 on systems where the Direct to Cloud (DTC) agent is already present
- AGENTS-1383: The API Key for CSR requests is no longer shown in plaintext
- AGENTS-638: Resolved an issue which could cause GetVolumeInformation calls to protected machines to fail with Error Code 0
- AGENTS-1253: Resolved an issue which could cause failed API calls to prevent Windows Server 2003 machines from sleeping
Agent Version 18.104.22.168
- AGENTS-1332: Resolved an issue which could cause backups to exceed 100% of their estimated transfer size.
Agent Version 22.214.171.124
- AGENTS-1310: Resolved an issue which could cause backup failures under certain low memory conditions.
Agent Version 2.0.7
- AGENTS-1115: Adjusted logging thresholds for certain events which are expected
- AGENTS-1275: Agents should report the same fields as 1.1 to support backup of 4Kn drives
- AGENTS-1148: This fix disallows device connections using low/medium strength cipher algorithms
- AGENTS-1279: Resolved an issue that could cause backups to fail due to invalid sector reads for systems protected by version 126.96.36.199 of the Datto Windows Agent
- AGENTS-1280: Resolved an issue that could cause screenshot failures for systems protected by version 188.8.131.52 of the Datto Windows Agent
- AGENTS-803: Resolved an issue which could cause "- /host response missing os_version expected by Siris" failures under certain circumstances
- AGENTS-1237: Resolved an issue that could cause automatic updates of the Datto Windows Agent to fail when only the build number changes
- AGENTS-1238: Resolved an issue which caused noisy and incorrect severity FBRE/CopyChunkRanges logs
- AGENTS-1276: Resolved an issue that caused screenshot verification to fail when the protected system's OS volume was not properly reported to the device
- AGENTS-1278: Resolved an issue which prevented BMR autopartitioning from functioning for EFI systems running DWA 184.108.40.206
- AGENTS-1084: Resolved an issue which caused driver block size calculation to be incorrect and cause backups to fail on extremely large volumes
- AGENTS-1123: Resolved an issue where VSS failures to prepare for backup could cause an unnecessary diffmerge
- AGENTS-1146: Resolved an issue that could cause non-NTFS volumes to be incorrectly reported to the device
- AGENTS-1152: Resolved a scenario in which failure to delete old log files caused backups to fail
- AGENTS-1201: Resolved an issue which could cause the DattoCtrl file to be 10x larger than it should be for very large volumes
Agent Version 220.127.116.11
- AGENTS-385: This enhancement adds full backup detection logic to the Datto Windows Agent engine to help prevent your appliance from filling up prematurely. Full backups will now only occur during the first snapshot of a protected volume or after an operator destroys the live dataset of a volume. Otherwise, your Datto device will stop the full backup, perform an automatic rollback, and initiate a differential merge.
- AGENTS-375: Resolved an issue which could enable DattoBackupAgentService to run an executable that is not enclosed in quotes
- AGENTS-1033: Fixed a vulnerability where the agent would accept connections from devices using the insecure TLS 1.0 protocol; now, only device connections using TLS 1.1+ will be accepted
- AGENTS-307: Improved iSCSI / Mercury connect logic to be more resilient by retrying when connections fail
- AGENTS-377: Resolved an issue that caused the first backup of a protected volume to be a differential merge instead of a full
- AGENTS-390: Resolved an issue which prevented the Datto Windows Agent uninstaller from removing services and caused it to leave artifacts behind
- AGENTS-397: Resolved an issue which caused a differential merge on reboot after disabling Windows updates on the protected system
- AGENTS-438: Corrected a formatting error for Datto Windows Agent events (EventLog) in Windows Event Viewer
- AGENTS-716: Fixed an issue which caused /pair endpoint in re-pair scenarios to return "null" response on success
- AGENTS-981: Fixed a typo in the Datto Windows Agent log output
- AGENTS-252: Fixed an issue which allowed protected machines to sleep while backing up
- AGENTS-775: Fixed a bug where non-4K block size volumes could fail to back up
- AGENTS-992: Fixed a bug which could cause incremental changeset data to fail to be rolled forward in cases of incremental backup failures or interruptions
- AGENTS-1027: Fixed a bug which could cause curl requests to output unformatted JSON
- AGENTS-1037: Fixed a bug where the agent revision version number was omitted from the full version string
- AGENTS-1045: Fixed a bug which could cause iSCSI differential merge backups to behave like full backups
- AGENTS-1082: Fixed a bug which could cause a small amount of memory to leak when making outbound curl requests
- AGENTS-1116: Fixed a bug which could cause unnecessary differential merges when a backup failed before snapshot mode
- AGENTS-283: Added logic to cancel a backup in progress if the Datto device requests to start a new backup
- AGENTS-284: Added boot time to the host command.
- AGENTS-305: Added the current redistributable version to /host.
- AGENTS-394: Added reporting to record whether a given backup was a full,
differential merge, or incremental
- AGENTS-13: Added MercuryFTP support for Windows
- AGENTS-1013: Lowered the severity of the "volume size divisibility" logging messages to
- AGENTS-1074: Lowered the severity of the "read less" logging messages to debug level
- AGENTS-468: VSS backup failures will no longer trigger differential merges when falling back to DBD
- AGENTS-1099: Improved Mercury V1 re-connection logic to be more resilient
Agent Version 2.0.5
NOTE: This release is specifically targeted at existing DWA 2.0.3 installations to address the issues listed below. Neither download.datto.com nor any other existing DWA versions will be affected by this release. A schedule for wider deployment will be announced in the future.
- AGENTS-468: As a protected agent, I want VSS backup failures to not trigger differential merges when falling back to DBD, so my backups are more efficient.
- AGENTS-1099: Improved Mercury V1 re-connection logic to be more resilient.
- AGENTS-1033: Fixed a vulnerability where the agent would accept connections from devices using the insecure TLS 1.0 protocol - now only device connections using TLS 1.1+ will be accepted.
- AGENTS-775: Fixed a bug where non-4K block size volumes could fail to backup.
- AGENTS-992: Fixed a bug where incremental changeset data would fail to be rolled forward in cases of incremental backup failures/interruptions.
- AGENTS-1027: Fixed a bug where curl requests would output unformatted JSON.
- AGENTS-1037: Fixed a bug where the agent revision version number was omitted from the full version string.
- AGENTS-1045: Fixed a bug where iSCSI diff-merge backups would behave like full backups.
- AGENTS-1082: Fixed a bug where a small amount of memory could be leaked when making outbound curl requests.
- AGENTS-1116: Unnecessary diff-merge when a backup fails before snapshot mode
- AGENTS-1013: Lowered the severity of the "volume size divisibility" logging messages to debug-level.
- AGENTS-1014: Lowered the severity of the "read less" logging messages to debug-level.
Agent Version 2.0.3
- AGENTS-385: As a Partner using a Datto agent, I want to avoid receiving full backups and instead receive differential merges to avoid performing rollbacks or prematurely filling my device.
- AGENTS-562: Enabled compiler generation of instructions to mitigate certain Spectre variant 1 security vulnerabilities.
- AGENTS-307: Improved Iscsi/Mercury connect logic to be more resilient by retrying when connecting fails
- AGENTS-377: First backup is a diff, not a full
- AGENTS-390: Uninstaller fails to remove services, leaves artifacts
- AGENTS-397: Disabling Windows Updates causes diff-merge after reboot
- AGENTS-438: Formatting error for DWA events (EventLog) in Windows Event Viewer
- AGENTS-716: Pair endpoint in re-pair scenario returns "null" response on success
- AGENTS-981: Typo in DWA Agent Logs: "last backup failed, foricing diffmerge"
- AGENTS-252: Prevent machine from going to sleep while backing up
- AGENTS-269: At the start of each backup, log the agent version and driver version
- AGENTS-283: Never deny the Siris a new backup - automatically cancel a running backup if the Siris requests to start a new backup
- AGENTS-284: Add boot time to host command
- AGENTS-305: Add the current redistributable version to /host
- AGENTS-394: As a partner using a Datto agent, I would like to know if a given backup was a full, diff, or incremental
- AGENTS-13: Mercury FTP support for Windows
Agent Version 18.104.22.168
- DWA-144: Fixed an issue where disabling the Windows Update service caused a diffmerge after every system reboot.
- DWA-191: Fixed an issue where the DattoBackupAgentService ran an executable path that was not enclosed in quotes.
- DWA-197: Updates the agent pairing process and fixes DWA certificate validation as mitigation for CVE-2017-16673.
- DWA-230: Fixed an issue which could prevent 32-bit agent installs from updating correctly.
NOTE: Complete mitigation of the issues resolved by this release requires that you update to the latest version of the Datto Windows Agent to version 22.214.171.124 after your device has updated to OS 3.68.
Agent Version 126.96.36.199
- DWA-186: Fixed remote command execution vulnerability of non-whitelisted commands discovered in CVE-2017-16674.
- DWA-149: Fixed presence of newer versions of vc_redist causing the installation to fail
- DWA-152: Prevent machine from going to sleep while a backup is in progress
- DWA-155: Changed behavior to cancel current backup if another is requested
- DWA-181: Schedule update to occur after a backup if a backup is in progress
- DWA-168, DWA-172: Added logging for component versions
Agent Version 188.8.131.52
- DWA-142: Fixed an issue that could cause agents to report corruption even when no corruption existed on the production machine.
- DWA-92: Added support for Windows 10 Creators Update.
Agent Version 184.108.40.206 / Driver Version 220.127.116.11
- DWA-72: Fixed Exchange logs failing to be truncated.
- DWA-74: Fixed a small memory leak.
- DWA-71: Integrated use of a driver roll-forward capability. Allows for immediate snapshot retry by preserving change tracking data. Resolves snapshot failures with certain VSS snapshot errors such as timeouts.
- DWA-80: Removed DWA snapshot devices from host response.
- DWA-59: Added an icon for DWA instead of using the default Windows on.
- DWA-47: Retrieving VSS writer status post snapshot.
- DWA-81: Added initial use of updated driver error status implementation. Allows for better driver error diagnosis.
Agent Version 18.104.22.168 / Driver Version 22.214.171.124
- DWA-67 - Hung disk devices - allow NTFS checks to quiesce.
- Fix for incorrect snapshot partition configuration.
- Fix for IO processing during invalid CoW file state.
- Fix for trying to set a bit in the CoW bitmask when it is either beyond the bitmask length or the bitmask had been torn down.
- Added tracing support.
- Added more granular error handling (errcode, args).
- Added support for roll forward. Can retain tracking data in case of snapshot failure.
- DWA-45. Added capabilities field in API host response.
- DWA-49. Added mercury1 to capabilities field.
- DWA-42. Optimized network based diffmerge buffer comparison.
- DWA-47. Retrieval of VSS writer status (failure/success) during snapshot setup. This allows for troubleshooting and diagnosis of potential VSS snapshot issues.
- DWA-50. Return errors in status response (code, params, message).
- DWA-51. Added status response errors in capabilities.
- DWA-61. Allow only one instance of an installer.
- DWA-63. Control files (DattoCtrl/Snap files) deleted on uninstall.
- DWA-68. Cache system VSS writer information used in host response.