This article describes the procedure to enable the VM Configuration Backup feature for an agent on a Datto appliance. Selecting this feature allows a physical SIRS or Alto running agent-based backups of virtual machines in a VMWare environment to back up their VMX files.
If you have not done so already, configure the Datto appliance with a hypervisor connection to the VMWare environment.
To enable VM Configuration Feature, follow these steps:
1. Open the GUI for the Datto device.
2. Click on the Protect tab.
3. Find the agent that you wish to configure.
4. Click Configure Agent Settings for that agent.
5. Scroll to the Advanced section to find the VM Configuration Backup option, as shown in Figure 1.
6. Check the box next to VM Configuration Backup.
Figure 1 - VM Configuration Backup
7. The GUI will display a dropdown which allows you to select the agent's hypervisor connection.
8. Test a backup. If the backup fails without an error message, check the settings for the hypervisor connection, and attempt another backup.