This article describes adding an SMB NAS share hosted on your Datto appliance to your Datto Drive implementation.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto Drive Local
To perform this procedure, you will need:
- A public or private NAS share.
- A local installation of Datto Drive.
- A user account on the device with administrative privileges.
Creating the share
1. In the Datto device UI, click the File Share tab, then select Network Attached Storage from the drop-down menu.
2. If the device is not currently hosting any shares, you will see the Share Creation Wizard. Name the share and click the Next button to continue.
If the device is currently hosting shares, click Create Share in the top right-hand corner to create a new NAS share.
3. Choose a privacy option. By default, the Datto device creates NAS shares as private.
- Type a username into the Choose a User field to add them to the private share.
- Click the Make Share Public button to make the share visible to all users who have the share link.
Accessing a public share
1. In the Datto device UI, click Configure, then select Device Settings from the drop-down menu.
2. On the Configure Datto Drive screen, toggle Make Datto Drive available on the Internet to on. An access URL will appear.
Accessing a private share
1. Navigate to http://[your local IP]/dattodrive and log in.
2. Log in with the default username Admin. The password will be unmasked in the Configure → Device Settings → Configure Datto Drive section of the Datto device UI.
Adding external storage to the NAS share
1. Once logged in, exit the First Setup window, click the arrow in the top right-hand corner and then click Admin.
2. Scroll down to the External Storages section, then click Add Storage and select SMB/CIFS from the drop-down menu.
3. Under Folder Name, choose a unique name that describes what you are mapping. Duplicate folder names will cause errors.
- If you set the share as public, leave the Authentication drop-down menu on Log-in Credentials, save in database.
- If you set the share as private, select username and password.
4. Enter the name, and IP address of the NAS share you are mapping. You can confirm this from the page as \\(local IP address)\ShareName. You do not need slashes in either field.
5. Enter the Local User account you added from Step 3 as the username and password. If this is on a domain and you set up a domain user from Step 3, enter the username in the Domain field and log in as usual.
- By default, external storages mappings are available to all Datto Drive Local users. Use the Available For window on the right-hand side of the screen to delegate access to users or groups.
- When a user logs into their Web UI, or they map a sync connection with the Desktop Sync App from download.dattodrive.com, they will see the folder name as entered earlier.
- To let users re-share the External Storages, click the gear icon on the right-hand side of the screen and select Enable Sharing from the drop-down menu.