This article describes the method for imaging Datto Utilities onto a USB drive. The Datto Utilities application includes the Bare Metal Restore (BMR) environment.
You should have the following items available when starting this process:
- USB drive that is at least 8GB
- If you are imaging from a Windows platform, the latest version of Rufus.
Obtaining the ISO
You can download the Datto Utilities image (.ISO) from the Datto Downloads page. Once the image file has downloaded, proceed to the next section.
Imaging the USB Drive with Rufus
Once you have obtained the image file, proceed as follows.
- Attach the USB drive to your machine, and open Rufus. If you receive the following prompt, select Write in DD Image mode, and click OK.
Using ISO mode is not recommended by Datto, as it creates the Datto Utilities environment in read-only mode, and updates will not persist between uses. You should only use ISO mode if your production machine will not boot from an environment created in DD Image mode.
Choose the following settings for imaging your USB Drive:
- Device: Choose the drive letter which corresponds to your flash drive
- Partition Scheme: Choose MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI
- File System: Choose NTFS or FAT32 (Default)
- Cluster Size: 16 kilobytes
- Format Options: Select Check device for bad blocks (1 pass), Quick Format, Create a bootable disk, and Create extended label.
- Select the image file for use, and then select DD image.
- Select Start.