This article will guide you through setting up a VPN connection using OpenVPN or Tunnelblick.
This feature allows a user to configure an SSL Client VPN connection using the same client VPN feature currently in place.
- DNA firmware v0.9.0.64 or higher
- OpenVPN installed on the PC you will be using to connect to the DNA
Configure Client VPN on the DNA
1. Log in to the DNA and click the Security tab, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Security tab
2. From the options on the left side of the page, select Client VPN.
Figure 2: Configured Firewall Rules
3. Select the Yes radio buttons for Enable Client VPN and Allow Connections Via OpenVPN.
4. The Internal Subnet and Subnet Mask will be the private IP addresses that get assigned to your devices when connected to the VPN.
5. Select the LANs you would like to allow VPN clients to have access to.
6. Create a user and password.
7. Select Save Changes.
Figure 3: Client VPN
Install and Configure the VPN Client
1. Download and install the OpenVPN Windows installer (external link). Then, proceed to the Download the OpenVPN Config File section of this article.
Figure 4: OpenVPN Windows Installer
1. Install the OpenVPN package:
sudo apt-get install openvpn
Then, proceed to the Download the OpenVPN Config File section of this article.
1. If you are using a Mac, you will need to install Tunnelblick instead of OpenVPN. Then, proceed to the Download the OpenVPN Config File section of this article.
Download the OpenVPN Config File
2. Download the OpenVPN config file from the DNA to the target computer by clicking the OpenVPN Config File on the Client VPN card (Figure 5).
- For Windows clients, save the file to
- For Linux and Mac clients, save the file to the desktop.
Figure 5: OpenVPN Config File download link
Connecting the VPN Client
1. Open the OpenVPN client and click connect.
2. To log on to the network, use the email address from the username and password you created earlier on the Client VPN card.
1. Launch OpenVPN with the --config argument to specify the configuration file to use:
openvpn --config client.ovpn
1. Add the config file you saved in the Download the OpenVPN Config File section of this article to Tunnelblick by dragging it from the desktop into the left-hand pane shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Tunnelblick settings pane
2. Select the configuration in the Configurations sidebar, and click Connect.
3. Log in using the credentials you created in the Configure Client VPN on the DNA section of this article.