When I try to perform a sync operation in Datto Drive, I receive one of the following error messages:
- Unable to sync journal
- Connection closed
- Operation cancelled
- Datto Drive
This error can be caused by:
- Adding a folder without proper user permissions
- A directory without proper permissions
- The app not running under the correct permissions
- Local sync database files needing to be rebuilt due to size or corruption
1. Ensure all users have full read/write permissions on the local machine when syncing directories.
2. Ensure the Datto Drive app is installed and running under an administrator account, or with sufficient permissions to read/write & execute files.
3. If you have verified that the application and users have the correct permissions, remove and re-add the machine's folder sync connection.
4. Make sure you are using the latest version of Datto Drive.
If the issue persists, recreate the connection.
Recreating the connection
1. Right-click the connection and click Remove folder sync connection.
Figure 1: Remove folder sync connection
2. When prompted, click Remove folder sync connection.
Figure 2: Confirm folder sync connection removal
3. Re-add the folder connection by clicking Add folder sync connection and specifying the path of the folder you wish to add.
Figure 3: Re-add the folder sync connection
If the issue persists, remove the sync database files located in the sync folder by performing the following steps:
1. Open the destination folder on the target machine.
Figure 4: Open folder
2. From the Windows Explorer View tab, check the Hidden items box.
Figure 4: View → Hidden items
3. You should see three ._sync files, as shown in Figure 5. Remove them, and restart the sync.
Figure 5: ._sync files
If the ._sync files do not rebuild, investigate a larger permissions issue in your production environment. As an example, a NAS share may receive a firmware update which resets its drive permissions, resulting in this error.
If you tried all of the above steps, enable logging, recreate the error, and open a ticket with Datto Technical Support with logs attached for further assistance.