This article describes how to flash firmware releases onto a Datto Access Point using a flashing utility.
- Datto Access Points
- Microsoft Windows
An access point may require a reinstall of its firmware as a troubleshooting step. You will need to manually flash the firmware release onto the access point directly.
1. Install WinPcap.
2. Download the latest version of the access point firmware flashing utility:
3. Open an elevated command prompt on the Windows machine containing the flashing utility. Navigate to the utility's directory, input its file name (in this example,
open-mesh-flash-ng), then press Enter. A usage prompt should display as seen in Figure 1.
Figure 1: open-mesh-flash-ng usage
4. Run the command
open-mesh-flash-ng n, n being the number associated with the Ethernet port that will communicate to the access point.
Figure 2: The utility listening on Ethernet device 3
5. Connect your access point to Ethernet port specified in step 4, and power it on. A crossover cable is not required. Power cycle the device if its was previously powered on.
6. Verify that the output of the flash utility is similar to Figure 3. The process will take 3-15 minutes to complete. If nothing displays after 10 seconds, power cycle the access point, or connect to a different Ethernet port.
Figure 3: A successfully flashed device.
7. Run the command
open-mesh-flash-ng -v to verify the access point's current firmware version.
8. Exit the utility, or connect another access point to run the same flashing process.
Datto Networking Portal
After flashing the firmware, follow these steps in the Datto Networking Portal for your access point:
1. Verify the access point is configured to run on the same firmware version previously flashed, and disable automatic updates. Both configurations are found on the Maintenance page.
2. After reconnecting your access point to your network, re-pair it.