This article shows how to gather logs for troubleshooting the Datto Mac Agent.
Technical support need the logs from these 3 locations attached to the support ticket:
- /var/log/system.log is the system log, to which the driver will write.
- ~/Library/Logs/Datto Mac Agent is where the user space app writes log entries.
- /var/log/SentinelHelper contains the past 7 days of logs from the background process daemon (This is usually the most useful log).
Gathering logs through the console
On the Mac, open the console. You can find it through Spotlight, or by opening Applications and then Utilities
Figure 1: Open the console
- In the left-hand sidebar, double click on System.log. to open the file. Click Reveal in the upper left hand corner of the file window. When the log window opens, drag the system.log icon onto the desktop.
- While still in the log window, double click on the SentinelHelper folder to open it. Drag the appropriate .log icon onto the desktop.
- Next, in the console's sidebar menu, double click ~/Library/Logs in the console's sidebar. When the Library window opens, double click on the Logs folder. Open the Datto Mac Agent folder, and drag the .log icon onto the desktop.