When you attempt to start a backup for a protected system using the Datto Windows Agent, you receive the error message "Unable to start backup because agent service is stopped."
- Datto Windows Agent
1. On the protected machine, go to the Services console by typing services.msc from the home screen, or in a run window.
2. Check the status of the following services:
- Datto Backup Agent Service
3. If the services are stopped, click Start and ensure the services start correctly. If the services are running, stop and restart them, and ensure they start correctly.
Figure 1: Make sure the services are started
4. Attempt another backup. If the error persists, review the Datto Networking Requirements article and ensure there are no network issues preventing the Datto appliance from communicating with the agent.