This article explains how to use Revo Uninstaller and PsExec to remove and reinstall the ShadowSnap software.
- ShadowSnap Agent
- Revo Uninstaller
Revo Unistaller Pro is not always necessary, but we recommended it because it ensures all files and registry entries that are associated with the installation of ShadowSnap and ShadowProtect are completely removed.
An alternate but less-comprehensive method to remove ShadowSnap and ShadowProtect would be through the Add/Remove Programs wizard located in the Windows control panel.
1. Reboot the production machine.
2. After the reboot, verify that the following services are present and running:
- ShadowProtect Service
- StorageCraft Raw Agent
- StorageCraft Shadow Copy Provider
If any of these services are not present or in a running state, this is a sign of a corrupt ShadowSnap install. Follow the process described in this article to resolve the issue.
- Downloading and Installing Revo Uninstaller
- Removing ShadowSnap
- Removing ShadowProtect
- Using PSExec to install the ShadowSnap software
1. Launch Revo Uninstaller. Locate ShadowSnap and ShadowProtect in the Revo UI.
2. Click Uninstall. Select ShadowSnap from the list of applications..
3. Revo Uninstaller will perform a full registry backup, and create a System Restore point.
4. The ShadowSnap uninstaller will launch. Click Next, and follow the prompts to uninstall the software.
5. When the uninstaller finishes, allow Revo to scan for any leftover files or folders, Select Moderate mode, and click Scan.
6. Review the leftover registry items. Click Select All, and Delete.
7. When prompted, click Yes and then Finish.
1. Click the Uninstall button in the Revo GUI, and select StorageCraft ShadowProtect.
If you see the following error message, click OK:
"ShadowSnap is installed in the same location as StorageCraft ShadowProtect! Leftovers will be found from both applications! Carefully check the ones you want to remove!"
2. Revo Uninstaller will perform a full registry backup, and create a System Restore point.
3. The StorageCraft Maintenance Wizard will launch. Select Uninstall, and then click Next.
4. Click OK when the Deactivation Information window populates. This window notifies you that the uninstallation does not deactivate the product key or license.
5. Click Next.
6. After the uninstaller runs, select No, I will restart my computer later. Click Finish.
7. Allow Revo to scan for any leftover files or folders, select Advanced mode, and click Scan.
8. Review the leftover registry items. Click Select All, and Delete.
9. Click Next. When prompted, click Yes and then Finish. If Revo finds any other leftovers after the cleanup, review the files, and remove them by clicking Selecting All and Delete.
10. Reboot the production machine to complete the uninstall.
Using PsExec To Install The ShadowSnap Software
1. Download the full suite of PsTools software (about 1.6 MB) from Microsoft.
2. Extract the zip file to the production machine's desktop.
3. Download the ShadowSnap agent from this link.
4. Make note of the path of the ShadowSnap installer.
5. Go to "Run" and type
cmd to open a command window. If you are using domain accounts to install the ShadowSnap software, open the first command prompt using the Run As option, and uncheck the option to restrict access.
6. Navigate to the directory where you downloaded PsExec:
dir to list the contents of the directory to ensure that psexec.exe exists in this location.
8. Run the PsExec tool to invoke a new command prompt as the local system user.
psexec.exe -hsi cmd.exe
9. The second command prompt will open up at the system-level prompt. Use this new command window to browse to the location of the ShadowSnap installer.
10. Run the ShadowSnap installer from the command line by typing the name of its executable file. In the above example, the name of the executable is shadowsnap-installer.exe.
11. When the installer finishes, reboot the production machine.
Figure 4: Using PsExec To Install The ShadowSnap Software (video)