This article explains how to perform instant cloud virtualizations for individual agents or for a batch of multiple agents.
- Datto Partner Portal
- Recovery Launchpad
This article explains how to perform instant cloud virtualizations for individual agents, or for a batch of multiple agents.
- The default settings bring the virtual machine up in a stand-alone environment, which works like local virtualization in the SIRIS GUI.
- The virtual machine will not be started with network connectivity.
- Connections to the server hosting the VM, and to the VM's environment, are made via RDP.
- You can independently select Enable Internet and Enable DHCP to create a VLAN with a segregated DHCP and Internet configuration (for example, to use a virtualization of your own Domain Controller).
Advanced Networking Options
In certain cases, VMs need internet access to be reachable. Checking Internet access simply provides the virtual machine with a gateway for this to be achieved.
In other cases, multiple machines may need a virtual LAN in the cloud, but not internet access. To do this, click Create Cloud Network. Please contact Datto Technical Support for assistance with this type of configuration.
1. Log into the Datto Partner Portal.
2. From the Status tab, choose Recovery Launchpad.
3. The Recovery Launchpad displays all devices in the fleet. Choose from the list or use the search bar to find a specific device. When the menu expands, find the agent name, and click Start Virtualization.
4. Select the recovery point from which to virtualize, then click Next.
5. Select the amount of RAM to provide the virtualization, then click Next.
6. Choose the VM's networking scheme:
- Choose Simple if the VM will exist on its own private network. Check Allow Internet Access if the VM needs internet connectivity.
- Choose VLAN If your VMs need to have networking, then either choose the network on which they will reside or choose Create Network (see Figure 6).
7. Configure the storage controller, network controller, and the number of CPU cores for the virtualization. Then, click Next.
8. The Confirm VM settings panel will open. Review your configuration, then click Save and start VM.
Batch virtualization allows you to spin up virtual machines on multiple agents at the same time, instead of configuring each VM individually.
1. From the Recovery Launchpad, select the check box next to each agent that needs a VM, then click Virtualize.
2. Choose whether to use the latest recovery point available for each agent or to select agent recovery points closest to a specified date and time, then click Next. If any of the virtualized agents are encrypted, you'll be prompted to enter the decryption passphrase.
3. You can now return to Step 7, above, to configure network and storage options for your batch.
Connecting to the Virtualization
The Recovery Launchpad allows you to connect to a running cloud VM directly through your browser or via standalone VNC or RDP connections. See Accessing Hybrid And Cloud Virtualizations for more information.