Performing an Instant Cloud Virtualization
- Please contact Datto Technical Support to schedule a cloud virtualization test with network connectivity.
- For emergency cloud virtualizations with live network connectivity, contact Datto Technical Support.
- Log into the Datto Partner Portal.
2. Hover over Devices, and select Recovery Launchpad.
3. This will display all of the Datto devices.
4. Select the correct device from the list shown.
5. Click on one of the agents, and choose the snapshot to virtualize offsite.
6. Set the amount of RAM you'd like to provide the virtual machine instance.
7. Your browser will automatically refresh after selecting Create VM and a new set of configurations will be displayed. If you need your VMs to have networking, select the VLAN networking scheme, and specify a networking configuration.
- You may configure the level of accessibility for the virtual machine.
- By default, the Security Options will appear as the screenshot above.
- RDP connections are only available to the public IP address of the network in which the Resale Portal is being accessed from.
- For stricter security, select the checkbox Require a username and password when connection via RDP
- This will auto-generate and display Username and Password for RDP access.
- Default settings bring the virtual machine up in a stand-alone environment.
- This stand-alone environment is similar to the local virtualization from the local SIRIS™ web console.
- The virtual machine will not be started with network connectivity.
- The remote RDP connections to the VM running in the cloud are achieved by an RDP link.
- RDP connects you to the specific server in the cloud which is hosting the virtual machine on a specific port.
- The port drops the RDP connection into the virtual machine's environment.
- You can independently select Enable Internet and Enable DHCP to create a vLAN with a segregated DHCP and Internet configuration (for example, to use a virtualization of your own Domain Controller).
Advanced Networking Options
In certain scenarios, VMs need internet access so they can be reachable. Checking the Internet access simply provides the virtual machine with a gateway for this to be achieved.
In other scenarios, there may be a need for multiple machines to be networked to each other in the cloud but without internet access. Click on Create Cloud Network. This will create a virtual LAN in the cloud. Please contact Datto Technical Support for assistance with this type of configuration.
Starting and accessing the VM in the Cloud
With the Build and Start VM window completed and the Build and Start VM option selected, wait between 1 minute and 10 minutes for the VM in the cloud to become active. This time varies based on any server load balancing within the cloud. Perform this prior to the starting of the VM. The following window will appear as well as the button to RDP to the VM:
You can click the Network Settings to change the network configuration of a live running VM at any time. If port forwarding is required, follow the steps in Forwarding Ports During Offsite Virtualization to configure each VM as needed.
5.1 Completion of the Cloud Virtualization
To terminate the virtualization test:
- Click Stopping and Dismount the Virtual Machine.
- Click the link shown below for Change Settings or Unmount.
- Once the page refreshes, click Unmount to remove the virtualization from the server.