How do I use the RoundTrip Wizard to create a local archive from a Datto device?
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- Datto NAS
This article discusses archiving Datto device backups to an external drive using the RoundTrip Wizard. The wizard is accessible in the Synchronize tab of the Datto device GUI.
Using your external drive
Your drive must be healthy to complete a local archive. It should not have mechanical or disk defects.
Creating the archive
1. Plug your USB drive into a USB port on the back of your Datto device.
2. Under the Synchronize tab in the Datto device GUI, click PERFORM A USB ROUNDTRIP.
3. The Welcome screen will appear. Click NEXT.
4. Select your USB drive from the enclosure list. Click NEXT.
5. Select any or all of the protected devices that you would like to sync to the USB drive.
6. The page will display how much space you will use on the USB drive. Ensure that the following boxes are NOT checked and then click NEXT.
- Encrypt RoundTrip Drive
- This RoundTrip is for Cloud Sync
7. Enter an email address to receive an email notification when the archive is complete and click FINISH.
The RoundTrip Wizard will format your external drive with a ZFS file system. The data resides in a ZFS storage pool with any snapshots that you selected (or all current snapshots, if you chose to sync the entire agent/share).
To access your data stored in the ZFS storage pool, plug the archive drive into a compatible Datto device, then contact Datto Technical Support.
Recovering an encrypted archive
If you encrypt your drive when using the RoundTrip wizard (not recommended for local archives), you must plug the drive into the same Datto device from which the data originated.
Recovering or migrating data from local archives created with the RoundTrip Wizard onto third-party devices using ZFS is not supported.