This article provides step-by-step instructions on how you can import MBOX exports back to your email account.
- Backupify/Datto SaaS Protection for G Suite
- Backupify/Datto SaaS Protection for Office 365
Restoring email exports requires the use of third party applications to import the archived MBOX file into your inbox.
- The export that will contain an MBOX file for each label that you have backed up from your inbox. The AllMail MBOX file will have all your mail records in it.
Follow the below steps to restore all emails from an MBOX file back into your email account:
Set up your email account with Thunderbird
- Download and Install the Thunderbird mail application.
- Launch Thunderbird and click the Get a new email address button.
- Click Skip this and use my existing email.
- Enter Your name, email address, and email password, then click Continue.
- Adjacent to the field, Incoming, make sure IMAP is selected and then click Done.
- If you are using Google Mail, Thunderbird will automatically retrieve your pre-configured settings.
- You will see your email account in the pane on the left side of the screen, where you can access all of your emails.
- Thunderbird is now properly set up for your Gmail account.
Install "ImportExportTools" add-on for Thunderbird
- Download the ImportExportTools extension utility that works with Thunderbird.
- From the downloads page, locate Download Now, and ensure the download supports MBOX files.
- Save the .xpi file and note the file location.
- In Thunderbird, go to the menu in the upper right corner and click Add-Ons → Click the gear icon → Install Add-on From File.
- Locate the .xpi file that you downloaded and follow the instructions prompted by the installation guide.
- Restart Thunderbird.
Extract the zipped email archive file
- Right-click the file (the archive file is in .ZIP file format.), then click Extract All.
- Once extracted, you will have several MBOX files that are each named according to the corresponding label in your mail. Please note the location of the extracted files.
Import the emails from the MBOX file for the label that you want to restore
- In the navigation pane on the left, right-click Local Folders → ImportExportTools → Import MBOX file.
- Choose the option to Import directly one or more MBOX files, and then click OK.
- Select the MBOX file that corresponds with the label that you want to restore, then click Open.
- All emails from that label will now start importing.
Copy the imported emails into your email account
- In Thunderbird, navigate to the left panel and expand Local Folders.
- Select the folder that has the name of the label that you are importing to email.
- Select all of the emails contained in the folder, right-click the selection, and select Copy to - <email_account> - <label_name>. At this point, all emails will import to the label that was selected.
- email_account is the email address of your G Suite or Office 365 email account.
- label_name is the path to the label that you want to import the restored emails to.
- Once completed, log in to your email account online to view and access all of the emails that were restored to the label that you selected.