This article describes the Reverse RoundTrip process.
- Datto Reverse RoundTrip
A Reverse RoundTrip allows partners to retrieve data from the Datto Cloud by having it copied from Datto's data center to a portable storage drive, which we can ship to a location of your choosing.
- Reverse RoundTrips are a paid service. Base service fees, as well as syncing and replacement fees, are detailed below. Datto waives these fees in a disaster recovery scenario.
- Ask Datto Technical Support if a Reverse RoundTrip is the best solution for you. In many scenarios, a Reverse Send is a faster method. A Reverse Send is a manual process that Datto Technical Support can use to send incrementally-changed data from an offsite virtualization down to your device.
- To obtain specific pricing for a Reverse RoundTrip and to better understand if a Reverse RoundTrip is the best solution for you, contact your Datto Sales Executive.
- Reverse RoundTrips are not available for Cloud Continuity.
Ordering a Reverse RoundTrip
To order a Reverse RoundTrip, use the Reverse RoundTrip Request Form. Submitting this form creates a Technical Support ticket with all of the information below:
ZFS is the smallest, fastest file system format your Reverse RoundTrip data can be saved in. It is also the native format that Datto houses data in, both locally and offsite.
- ZFS allows for any restore operation when sent as a USB drive and connected to a Datto device.
- ZFS saves space by storing just the delta (data change) of each recovery point. For example, if you request 3 points with 200GB, 225GB, and 275GB of space consumed, then you will only need a Reverse RoundTrip for about 300GB of data.
A NAS unit, housing Reverse RoundTrip data in ZFS is also available as a standalone solution.
Image export (VHD, VMDK)
Image exports can be sent on any of the above options, and contain full disk images rather than a file directory structure.
- Image export is the largest restore option, and as such will typically cost the most (unless done as a local image export in ZFS format).
- It is the most direct method when restoring to a hypervisor.
- The supported image formats are VMDK and VHD.
Upon request, Datto will only export specific directories or files to the Reverse RoundTrip device. When submitting your request, specify the device’s file system (typically NTFS, ext4).
- Encrypt your roundtrip drive?: Allows you to specify if a drive is encrypted or unencrypted. If encrypted, only the Datto appliance associated with this request can decrypt the drive.
- Keep (purchase your roundtrip) drive?: You can buy the drive used in the roundtrip process for a fee. Otherwise, you will need to return it to Datto.
Desired Date Range
Select agent volumes
Figure 1: Select agent volumes
You can select any volume associated with agents that have replicated to the cloud. If you only want specific directories or files, choose Directory as your File Format and relay the desired information in Optional - Details on specific files.
Optional - Details on specific files
You can use this field to relay any additional details or concerns to support when submitting your request.
Shipping and Technical Contact Details
Submitting a request will open a ticket with Datto Technical Support. Provide a valid e-mail address for the contact associated with your request.
Provide a valid shipping address. We ship via UPS and can provide transportation charges before shipment upon request.
You can relay any optional instructions (for shipping, support, etc.) in the Optional Instructions field.
Datto-provided RoundTrip vs. Partner-provided RoundTrip
You have the option of providing the drive for the Reverse RoundTrip. Datto recommends that we provide the necessary equipment for the fastest and most reliable data retrieval process. Read our RoundTrip policy for details on requirements and best practices on Partner-provided RoundTrips.
Reverse Round-Trip Process
Technical Support sees the ticket and reaches out to the partner for a brief consultation.
This consultation is to verify the specifics of the request and to make sure it will meet the needs of the partner.
Technical Support verifies that the partner has provided all required information.
If the partner decides to provide the storage device, then the partner must update the support ticket with the tracking number so that Cloud Support can alert RoundTrip Support to expect the package.
If the partner is providing the storage device, they need to ship the unit to the data center for their location (see below). Datto is not responsible for costs incurred in shipping partner-provided units to the data centers.
Datto RoundTrip Team
Datto RoundTrip Team
Datto Canada RoundTrip c/o
ATTN: Datto RoundTrip Dept.
Technical Support engages Cloud Support
After preliminary setup, Cloud Support synchronizes the data as requested. Cloud Support will provide an estimated cost for the Reverse RoundTrip and do a final check on all information. The table below outlines the time frames in which partners can expect these data syncs to complete:
Figure 2: Estimated time to complete Reverse RoundTrip sync
RoundTrip Support ships the RoundTrip unit
Datto ships the Reverse RoundTrip unit to the address provided on the request form. All orders are shipped UPS Overnight. Make sure that you keep everything in the box, especially the Datto-provided return shipping label.
RoundTrip Operations bills for syncing service fees
Once Datto ships the drive, RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the service fees. This charge is for the amount of data synced to the RoundTrip device, not the size of the device. Base service fees are $50 for first 2TB block of data synced and $50 for each additional 1TB block of data synced.
- Syncing 0.1TB - 2.0TB costs $50
- Syncing 2.1TB - 3.0TB would cost $100
- Syncing 3.1TB - 4.0TB would cost $150, etc.
The invoice is submitted as Awaiting Reseller Approval in the Partner Portal so that partners can associate a credit card with the invoice in the checkout cart.
You have the option to sync data back to the Datto appliance
Datto Technical Support can assist in syncing the Reverse RoundTrip data back to a Datto appliance. If the RoundTrip contains snapshots that are formatted in ZFS, the dataset on the RoundTrip can be merged into the existing ZFS dataset on the Datto appliance.
If you have any encrypted agents or shares, and we are restoring encrypted data from our cloud servers, the process is similar to the above procedure. However, before repairing agent communication after the sync, Datto downloads algorithm information to the appliance, allowing you to enter the encryption passphrase. Once this has been done, and you pair the agent, backups can be resumed.
Partner either returns the Reverse RoundTrip unit to Datto or pays to keep it.
When returning a Reverse RoundTrip unit to Datto, partners must use the original packaging in which it was shipped. This consists of the box, packing materials, USB data transfer cables, and power supply (if applicable). If you wish to keep the Reverse RoundTrip unit for archival purposes, you will be charged a replacement fee (see table below).
You must return the Reverse RoundTrip unit within fourteen (14) days of delivery. If you do not return the Reverse RoundTrip within four weeks (28 days) of delivery, the drive will be deemed late, and Datto will send a notification. If Datto does not receive a Reverse RoundTrip unit back within eight weeks (56 days) of delivery, the Partner will be responsible for the full replacement cost of the Reverse RoundTrip. RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the replacement fees.
Figure 3: RoundTrip device replacement fees
If you are keeping the Reverse RoundTrip for archival purposes and discontinuing service with Datto:
- Upon discontinuing your service with Datto, you will no longer receive any support for restore operations using the reverse roundtrip unit. For this reason, we recommend purchasing a NAS unit for the reverse roundtrip, as it will ship to you with a full UI allowing you to restore as necessary. This functionality includes:
- Networking configuration
- Advanced device settings, including the health of the NAS unit
- File restore
- Bare metal restore
- Image export, including VHD and VMDK formats
- iSCSI restore (iSCSI NAS shares only)
- Datto recommends verifying all contents and functionality of the Reverse RoundTrip unit BEFORE discontinuing service.