This article describes the processes associated with retrieving data from the Datto Cloud through replication to a storage unit (either provided by Datto or the partner) that is shipped to a location of the partner’s choosing.
Reverse RoundTrip is a paid service. Service fees for syncing as well as replacement fees for lost and kept drives are detailed in sections 8 & 10 below. These fees are waived in a disaster recovery scenario.
1) Partner is directed to “Reverse RoundTrip Request Form”
This form <https://partners.dattobackup.com/reverseRT.php> is used to gather specifics about the data to be retrieved and logisitcs. Submitting the form creates a Tech Support (Zendesk) ticket with all of information below:
- Desired file format
- ZFS (Datto devices), NTFS (Windows), or EXT4 (Linux)
- File directory (browsable folders), VMDK file (VMware/ ESXi Virtual Machine), or VHD file (Windows/ Hyper-V Virtual Machine)
- Note: VMDK/VHD exports will take up the largest space. This is due to the copy process to USB/NAS devices. This will be the total volume size per snapshot. NTFS/EXT4 data is the next largest as this will represent the total backed up data separately for each snapshot. ZFS data date ranges only stores the delta of each recovery point.
- Desired snapshot date range
- Most recent snapshot, specific snapshot, or range of snapshots
- Source of snapshots
- Select a device, agent(s) and share(s), volume(s)
- For an estimate of space needed, run an Offsite Audit Report
- ZFS Data will be the "Size" of each dataset
- NTFS/EXT4 data will be the sum total of each snapshot for each dataset
- VHD/VMDK data will be the total volume size of each dataset
- Shipping details
- Where the RT will be sent once the data has been synced to it
- Partner technical contact info
- Specific instructions (i.e. if you just need to recover a specific file, multiple copies, etc.)
- Party providing the RoundTrip unit (either Datto or partner)
- Whether or not the partner will be using the standard Datto-provided RoundTrip units or if they will be providing their own storage appliance
2) Tech Support sees ticket and reaches out to partner for brief consultation
This is done in order to validate/ perform a sanity check on the request to make sure it will meet the needs of the partner. For example, partners that are less technical may need guidance when it comes to the implications of file formatting/ snapshot date ranges on the size output of the revRT. Furthermore, Tech Support verifies that all of the technical and logisitical information required to execute the partner’s request has been provided. If the partner decides to forego the standard process by providing their own storage unit, then partner must update the support ticket with the tracking number so that Cloud Support can let RoundTrip Support know that they should be expecting the package.
Note: if partner is providing their own storage unit to facilitate the physical transport of the data, then they need to ship their unit to the corresponding data center for their locale (see below). Datto is not responsible for costs incurred in shipping partner-provided units to the data centers.
ATTN: Datto RoundTrip Dept.
ATTN: Datto RoundTrip Dept.
3) Tech Support engages Cloud Support (Datto-internal process)
This is done by using the “Sharing” field in the left pane of the Zendesk ticket and selecting “Datto Cloud Operations @ Zendesk.” At this point, Cloud Support verifies that they have all of the information that they need in order to proceed with technical procedures.
4) Cloud Support engages RoundTrip Support and RoundTrip Operations (Datto-internal process)
RoundTrip Support will facilitate further technical procedures. RoundTrip Operations will facilitate further billing and shipping procedures.
5) RoundTrip Support connects revRT unit to sync station at the data center (Datto-internal process)
Connecting the revRT to the sync station allows it to be accessed over the network by the cloud servers holding the desired data without actually connecting anything directly to boards of the cloud servers. Once this is done, RoundTrip Support informs Cloud Support that the revRT is ready to receive the data.
[RoundTrips Connecting to Sync Station in Pennsylvania Data Center]
6) Cloud Support syncs desired data from cloud server to revRT unit (Datto-internal process)
The table below outlines the timeframes that partner can expect their revRT units to be provisioned with the desired data to be retrieved from the cloud.
7) RoundTrip Support ships the RoundTrip unit to the partner (Datto-internal process)
The revRT unit is shipped to the address provided by the partner on the initial form that feeds the corresponding tech support ticket. All shipments to the partner are made using FedEx Overnight! Make sure that you keep everything in the box, especially the Datto-provided return shipping label.
[Unboxing a 2TB Reverse RoundTrip]
8) RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for syncing service fees
After the drive has been shipped, RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the service fees. This charge is for the amount of data synced to the RoundTrip device, not the size of the device.
The actual invoice is submitted as “Awaiting Reseller Approval” in the Partner Portal, so that the partner can associate a credit card with the invoice in the checkout cart <https://partners.dattobackup.com/invoices.php>.
9) Partner has the option to sync data back to the Datto appliance when the RoundTrip is received
Technical Support can assist in syncing the Reverse RoundTrip data back to a Datto appliance. If the RoundTrip contains snapshots that are formatted in ZFS, the dataset on the RoundTrip can be merged into the existing ZFS dataset on the Datto appliance.
If local encryption is in use, and encrypted agent data is being restored from our cloud servers, the process is similar. However, prior to repairing agent communication after the sync, Datto downloads algorithm information to the appliance which allows the partner to enter the encryption passphrase. Once this has been done, and the agent is paired, backups can be resumed.
10) Partner either returns revRT unit to Datto, or pays to keep/ replace it
When returning a revRT to Datto, the packaging that the drive was originally shipped in must be used. This consists of the box, packing foam & materials, USB data transfer cables, and power supply (if applicable). If the partner either loses or wishes to keep the revRT unit for archival purposes, then they pay the replacement fee (see table below).
Partners must return revRT unit within fourteen (14) days of delivery of the drive to the specified address. If a revRT unit has not been returned within four weeks (28 days) of delivery, the drive will be deemed late and Datto will send notification to have the drive returned in a timely fashion. If a Partner does not return a revRT unit within eight weeks (56 days) of delivery of the drive, the Partner will be responsible for the full replacement cost of the revRT. RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the replacement fees.