This article describes the Reverse RoundTrip process.
The Reverse RoundTrip process is a service which allows partners to retrieve data from the Datto Cloud by having it copied from our datacenter to a portable storage drive, which is then shipped to a location of the partner’s choosing.
Reverse RoundTrips are a paid service. Base service fees for syncing and replacement fees for lost and kept drives are detailed below. These fees are waived in a disaster recovery scenario.
Ask Datto Technical Support if a Reverse RoundTrip is the best solution for you. In many scenarios, a Reverse Send is a faster method. A Reverse Send is a manual process that Datto Technical Support can use to send incrementally-changed data from an offsite virtualization down to your device.
To obtain specific pricing for a Reverse RoundTrip for one or more of your protected systems, and to better understand if a Reverse RoundTrip is the best solution for you, contact your Datto Sales Executive.
Ordering a Reverse RoundTrip
To order a Reverse RoundTrip, use the Reverse RoundTrip Request Form. This form gathers specific information about the data to be retrieved and the logistics for its delivery. Submitting the form creates a Technical Support ticket with all of information below:
Desired file format
ZFS (Datto devices)
ZFS is the smallest format, and is much quicker than the alternatives. It is also the native format in which our data is housed, both locally and offsite.
- It allows any type of restore when sent as a USB drive and is connected to a Datto device, and is a standalone solution when sent on a NAS device, making it by far the most versatile RoundTrip.
- ZFS has the advantage of being able to store just the delta (data change) of each recovery point. This means that if you request 3 points with 200GB, 225GB, and 275GB of space consumed, then you will need a Reverse RoundTrip for about 300GB of data. We highly recommend this option, as it reduces time, money, and effort for all parties.
NTFS is much larger, and will consume the full amount of space each snapshot takes up.
- This means that, if you request 3 points with 200GB, 225GB and 275GB of space consumed, you will need a reverse roundtrip unit for about 900GB of data.
- The advantage of NTFS is that it allows direct plug-and-play for Windows operating systems.
- NTFS data can be exported as a browsable filesystem, or as one of the following formats:
EXT4 is exactly like NTFS, only for Linux filesystems rather than Windows.
Image exports can be sent on any of the above options, and contain full disk images rather than a file directory structure.
- This is the largest restore option, and as such will typically cost the most (unless done as a local image export in ZFS format)
- It is advantageous when restoring to a hypervisor
- The supported image formats are VMDK, VHD, and VHDx. VHD and VHDx image exports will only work with Gen 1 Hyper-V virtual machines.
ZFS, NTFS and EXT4 Reverse RoundTrips under 8TB in size can use USB drives. Reverse RoundTrips over 8TB requires the ZFS format and will be sent on a NAS device.
- Desired snapshot date range: Specify the most resent snapshot, a specific snapshot, or a range of snapshots.
- Source of snapshots
- For an estimate of space needed, run an Offsite Audit Report.
- ZFS data will be the "size" of each dataset.
- NTFS/EXT4 data will be the total volume size of each dataset, per snapshot
- Shipping Details: The location to which the RT will be sent once the data has been synced.
- Partner Technical Contact Info
- Specific instructions (recover a specific file, make multiple copies, etc.)
- Party providing the RoundTrip unit (either Datto or the partner supplying their own storage appliance)
Technical Support sees the ticket and reaches out to the partner for a brief consultation.
This is done to verify the specifics of the request, and to make sure it will meet the needs of the partner.
Technical Support verifies that all technical and logistical information required to execute the partner’s request is provided.
If the partner decides to forego the standard process by providing their own storage unit, then the partner must update the support ticket with the tracking number so that Cloud Support can alert RoundTrip Support to expect the package.
If the partner is providing their own storage unit to facilitate the physical transport of the data, then they need to ship their unit to the corresponding data center for their location (see below). Datto is not responsible for costs incurred in shipping partner-provided units to the data centers.
ATTN: Datto RoundTrip Dept
ATTN: Datto RoundTrip Dept.
Technical Support engages Cloud Support
After preliminary setup, Cloud Support synchronizes the data as requested. Cloud Support will provide an estimated cost for the Reverse RoundTrip and do a final check on all information. The table below outlines the time frames in which partners can expect these data syncs to complete:
Figure 1: Estimated time to complete Reverse RoundTrip sync
RoundTrip Support ships the RoundTrip unit
The Reverse RoundTrip unit is shipped to the address initially provided on the request form. All shipments are made using UPS Overnight. Make sure that you keep everything in the box, especially the Datto-provided return shipping label
RoundTrip Operations bills for syncing service fees
After the drive has been shipped, RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the service fees. This charge is for the data amount synced to the RoundTrip device, not the size of the device. Base service fees are $50 for first 2TB block of data synced, and $50 for each additional 1TB block of data synced.
- Syncing 0.1TB - 2.0TB costs $50
- Syncing 2.1TB - 3.0TB would cost $100
- Syncing 3.1TB - 4.0TB would cost $150, etc.
The actual invoice is submitted as Awaiting Reseller Approval in the Partner Portal, so partners can associate a credit card with the invoice in the checkout cart.
You have the option to sync data back to the Datto appliance
Technical Support can assist in syncing the Reverse RoundTrip data back to a Datto appliance. If the RoundTrip contains snapshots that are formatted in ZFS, the dataset on the RoundTrip can be merged into the existing ZFS dataset on the Datto appliance.
If agent/share encryption is in use, and encrypted agent data is being restored from our cloud servers, the process is similar. However, prior to repairing agent communication after the sync, Datto downloads algorithm information to the appliance, allowing you to enter the encryption passphrase. Once this has been done, and the agent is paired, backups can be resumed.
Partner either returns the Reverse RoundTrip unit to Datto, or pays to keep or replace it
When returning a Reverse RoundTrip unit to Datto, partners must use the original packaging in which it was shipped. This consists of the box, packing foam & materials, USB data transfer cables, and power supply (if applicable). If the partner either loses or wishes to keep the Reverse RoundTrip unit for archival purposes, then they pay the replacement fee (see table below).
Partners must return Reverse RoundTrip unit within fourteen (14) days of delivery of the drive to the specified address. If a Reverse RoundTrip unit has not been returned within four weeks (28 days) of delivery, the drive will be deemed late and Datto will send notification to have the drive returned in a timely fashion. If a Partner does not return a Reverse RoundTrip unit within eight weeks (56 days) of delivery of the drive, the Partner will be responsible for the full replacement cost of the Reverse RoundTrip. RoundTrip Operations bills the partner for the replacement fees.
Figure 2: RoundTrip device replacement fees
If you are keeping the Reverse RoundTrip for archival purposes and discontinuing service with Datto:
- Upon discontinuing your service with Datto, you will no longer receive any support for restore operations using the reverse roundtrip unit. For this reason, we recommend purchasing a NAS unit for the reverse roundtrip, as it will ship to you with a full UI allowing you to restore as necessary. This functionality includes:
- Networking configuration
- Advanced device settings, including health of the NAS unit
- File restore
- Bare metal restore
- Image export, including VHD and VMDK formats
- iSCSI restore (iSCSI NAS shares only)
- We recommend that you verify all contents and functionality of the Reverse RoundTrip unit BEFORE discontinuing service.