This article explains how to adjust the fan speed on a Datto appliance.
This procedure is used not only to adjust the fan speed but also to reduce any loud noise of the fan and increase air circulation for the Datto device. Use caution when adjusting the appliance's fan speeds. Hardware warranties may be voided if the hard drives reach 60 degrees Celsius.
- For SIRIS 3 Business or SIRIS 3 Enterprise, see Changing The Fan Speed On SIRIS 3 Buisness And SIRIS 3 Enterprise.
- For SIRIS X1 and X2, see Changing The Fan Speed On SIRIS X1 And X2.
- For SIRIS 3 Professional appliances shipped with an ASRock Rack motherboard, see this article. You can determine the type of motherboard installed in your Datto appliance by using an OUI lookup tool to decode the device's serial number.
Below is the suggested hardware needed when configuring the Datto device fans:
- Ethernet Cable (when using IPMI)
Configuring fans via BIOS
To adjust fan speed through the BIOS, the Datto device must be rebooted prior to beginning. Once it's rebooted, hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the device.
- Power cycle the Datto device (Off/On), and press the Del key to enter the BIOS on startup.
- When prompted, type the BIOS password. You can get this password from Datto Technical Support.
- Using the arrow keys cycle to Advanced > Hardware Monitor > Fan Speed
- Then, there are three given options:
- Full On - Default. Fans will run at maximum speed.
- Balanced - Balance fan speed according to CPU usage, which is quieter than Full On
- Power Saver - Will run fans at lowest speed possible at all times. Quietest setting. (This may cause the device to run warmer on a regular basis. Ensure that ventilation is available for the device.)
This section discusses how to change the fan speeds in devices that are S5000s or larger going out in rackmount cases. For these devices, it is not possible to change the fan speed from the BIOS, so IPMI must be used.
For more information about IPMI, see Configuring IPMI.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into IPMI port. Then turn on the machine, and press Del to enter the BIOS.
- Under the IPMI tab, select "BMC Network Configuration" and find the "station IP address"
Figure 1 - IPMI Tab
Figure 2 - BMC Network Configuration Screen
- Note the IP address, and enter it into the web browser of another computer on the local network.
- Login to the IPMI control panel. Contact Datto Technical Support for the default password.
Figure 3 - IPMI Login Screen
- Once logged in, hover over the Configuration tab and click on Fan mode (Figure 4).
Figure 4 - Configuration Menu
- Then select the "Full Speed" fan option, and click Save.
Figure 5 - Fan Mode Setting
- Click logout at the top right of the screen, and then unplug the IPMI Ethernet cable.
- Reboot the device.