This article discusses how to download and install the provided VPN keys to connect to a Datto cloud network with OpenVPN 2.3.2
1. For clients that need to connect to a cloud network provided by Datto's SIRIS, Datto Tech Support can provide VPN keys to allow clients to connect to the cloud network from machines outside their LAN.
2. Go into the Partner Portal, and click on the Devices menu. Choose Recovery Launchpad.
3. Click on the device. The bar will expand, showing a Manage VLANs button. Click this button. You will see the VLAN manager as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 - Manage VLAN
4. From here, you can create a new client (as shown in Figure 1), and Generate Client Script for an existing client.
Note: These links expire 8 hours after generation. The key will still be able to be used, but you cannot download the key again using the link provided after 8 hours. You would need to generate a new link.
3. Select this link and download the VPN client. It will provide a link to download an executable that will appear as the name of the cloud network with a client# (ie. test-clientXXX)
1. Run the executable on the machine that you'd like to connect to the cloud network with. This will then generate the key that you are looking to connect with.
If OpenVPN is not installed on your machine, the key will then direct you to install the OpenVPN client and will provide a download page. Download and install the OpenVPN software onto your machine.
2. After installation, clicking the key again will prompt you to connect:
Figure 2 - Cloud client confirmation
3. Once this connects, you will see a command prompt box pop up. There will be several connectivity prompts that appear then a constant string of read and writes:
Figure 3 - Connection in progress
4. As long as this command prompt is minimized, you will then be able to access resources on the network via the previously used connections such as terminal services or RDP.
3.1. Instructions on how to Use a MAC VPN Key to access Offsite VMs
During an offsite disaster virtualization, VPN access can be provided to clients using Macs and Linux Machines on request using the following steps:
3.2. Download and Configure TunnelBlick
1. Download a file with ".sh" extension provided by Datto Tech Support
2. Install Tunnelblick from https://tunnelblick.net/
3. Navigate to the downloaded .sh file and run from Mac Terminal
For instance, if the .sh file provided by Datto Tech Support is downloaded to the desktop, use the following commands from the terminal: