How do I install and configure Datto Drive Local?
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto NAS
Datto Drive Local is Datto's version of ownCloud, an enterprise file sync and share utility. Files are shared and made accessible from a variety of devices but hosted on a Datto appliance rather than in a third-party cloud.
Datto Drive Local has almost the same functionality as ownCloud 9. On some older Datto appliances, it is called ownCloud on SIRIS.
- Downloading and installing Datto Drive Local
- Configuring Datto Drive Local
- Recovering Datto Drive Files
- Datto Drive Local Limitations
The device must be running Ubuntu 16.04 to run Datto Drive Local. If your device is not yet on this platform, you will need to do the Linux update before Datto Drive installation.
- Ports 2260 (ssh) and 10016 (Unassigned TCP/UDP) must be open for external access to Datto Drive.
- The following IP address must be reachable from the Datto device: 184.108.40.206 (dasc7.drive.das.datto.com)
1. Download the sync clients here:
2. In the device web UI, Select the File Share tab and choose File Sync and Share from the drop-down menu.
3. Click Install Datto Drive. The device will automatically reboot when the installation completes.
Configure Datto Drive is the first option under Global Device Settings. Here, you can:
- Make Datto Drive available on the internet. Enabling this option provides a public URL.
- Access the Local Users panel, where you can add and administer users.
- Disable or uninstall Datto Drive.
Turn on internet availability to allow users to access Datto Drive Local outside the network on which your Datto appliance resides. When the pop-up window appears, click Enable Public Web Address.
The Configure Datto Drive panel now gives a .dattoconnect.com link to access Datto Drive Local over the web.
If you want to use your own domain in place of the dattoconnect.com address, add a CNAME entry to your domain's DNS settings, and enter your alias in the Domain Alias box as shown in Figure 6. Then, click Apply.
When using the Datto Drive desktop client, it will prompt for the server address. If your connection will be local only, you can use the local IP address of the Datto device. If you need offsite access, use the Datto device's public .dattoconnect.com address enabled in the Configure Datto Drive panel.
Examples: (IP will need to be changed to that of your Datto):
There are two ways to create Datto Drive Local users. You can add them as users of the Datto device, with Datto Drive access, or you can add users directly to Datto Drive. Password management is handled differently, based on the method you choose.
Adding users to the Datto device, with Datto Drive Local access
- Use this method if you are a Datto partner managing client passwords.
- Passwords and usernames can be created from an admin account in the Datto Drive UI
from the Users page. Click Create New User, then enter the user's email and password.
Adding users to Datto Drive through LDAP
This requires enabling LDAP on Datto Drive. Click here for more information on authenticating users with LDAP.
Adding users directly to Datto Drive
To manage your Datto Drive users from the SIRIS, click the link for Local Users, as shown in Figure 5. This brings you to the Configure > Local Users/Contact page. See Figure 8.
- Use this method if you are a Datto Drive Local end user, managing your own passwords.
- Datto Technical Support can manually reset user passwords
- If the user account is deleted in from Local Users/ Contact, the user's password cannot be
To add local users directly:
1. fill in the field in the Add a New Account section. Then, click Create Account.
By default, Datto Drive is set to Off for new users. To enable Datto Drive for the user, toggle the Datto Drive button to On.
2. Click Enable Datto Drive for test.
The Datto Drive On/Off button is the only button in this screen that controls Datto Drive. The other buttons are to configure the user's access to the Datto appliance itself.
The Datto appliance backs up your Datto Drive files to the Datto Cloud in the same way that it backs up NAS shares. Therefore, you can recover these files in the same way. See the article Cloud File Restore for the procedure.
- The local Datto device only holds two Datto Drive snapshots at a time, although snapshots and file versioning are still synced to the Datto Cloud.
- Datto Drive restores cannot be created in the device UI; they must be spun up in the Recovery Launchpad section of the Partner Portal.
- The Datto Drive desktop client cannot sync files larger than 2G.
- The Datto Drive web client cannot sync files larger than 512M.
- Avoid deleting large file trees, as it may cause issues with the clients.
- Avoid using the "Enforce HTTPS" feature, as it is not supported on SIRIS.
- Datto Drive Local does not support sharing through WebDAV.
- The ownCloud File Firewall app requires creating rules with JSON scripting. For assistance with this, see ownCloud's documentation on this topic.