This article explains how to install and set up Datto Drive Local.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto NAS
Datto Drive Local is Datto's version of ownCloud (external link), an enterprise file sync and share utility. With ownCloud, you can use your Datto appliance as a local cloud storage solution instead of sending your data to a third-party offsite host.
Datto Drive Local has almost the same functionality as ownCloud 9. On some older Datto appliances, it is called ownCloud on SIRIS.
NOTE: This feature is not available for devices that leverage a SIRIS Private service plan.
- Downloading and installing Datto Drive Local
- Configuring Datto Drive Local
- Managing users
- Recovering Datto Drive Files
- Datto Drive Local Limitations
- For detailed networking information, see Datto Drive Local: Networking Requirements.
1. Download the sync client from the Datto Drive Desktop Apps page.
2. In the device web UI, Select the File Share tab and choose File Sync and Share from the drop-down menu.
3. Click Install Datto Drive. The device will automatically reboot when the installation completes.
4. After the reboot, click Configure in the device UI, then choose Device Settings from the drop-down menu.
Configure Datto Drive is the first option under Global Device Settings. Here, you can:
- Make Datto Drive available on the internet. Enabling this option provides a public URL.
- Disable or uninstall Datto Drive.
Turn on internet availability to allow users to access Datto Drive Local outside the network on which your Datto appliance resides. When the pop-up window appears, click Enable Public Web Address.
The Configure Datto Drive panel will provide a personalized dattoconnect.com link to access Datto Drive Local over the web, as shown in Figure 6.
When using the Datto Drive desktop client, it will prompt for the server address. If your connection is local only, you can use the local IP address of the Datto device. If you need offsite access, use the Datto device's public dattoconnect.com URL enabled in the Configure Datto Drive panel.
There are two ways to create Datto Drive Local users. You can add them as users of the Datto device, with Datto Drive access, or you can add users directly to Datto Drive. Your Datto appliance will manage your password based on the method you choose.
Adding users to the Datto device, with Datto Drive Local access
1. To add Datto Drive users from the Datto device UI, navigate to Configure → Device Settings and scroll down to Local Users.
2. Click the ADD USER button.
3. Fill out the required fields and click ADD USER.
Once you have added the user, you can add or remove access by clicking the Datto Drive Access box.
Adding users via the Datto device GUI allows you to enable or disable access to both the Datto device GUI and Datto Drive local. You can set and update user passwords by clicking Set Password.
Adding users directly in Datto Drive
1. Log into Datto Drive Local with admin credentials.
2. Click your user name in the top left corner, then click Users.
3. From the Create New User page, you can create groups as well as add and remove users.
The Datto Drive Local app lets you add users without having to access the Datto device UI.
Adding users to Datto Drive through LDAP
For information on how to authenticate Datto Drive users with LDAP see our User Authentication With LDAP article.
The Datto appliance backs up your Datto Drive files to the Datto Cloud in the same way that it backs up NAS shares. Therefore, you can recover these files in the same way. See the article Cloud File Restore for the procedure.
- The local Datto device only holds two Datto Drive snapshots at a time, although it will still sync snapshots and file versioning to the Datto Cloud.
- The Datto Drive web client cannot sync files larger than 4 GB.
- Avoid deleting large file trees, as it may cause issues with the clients.
- The ownCloud File Firewall app requires creating rules with JSON scripting. For assistance with File Firewall, see ownCloud's documentation (external link).