This article explains how to configure the private IP address of a virtual machine (VM) in the Datto Cloud. This article is supplemental material to the Knowledge Base article Configuring an Offsite VLAN.
- Datto Partner Portal
- Recovery Launchpad
You can use port forwarding to control how external computers access virtual machines in the Datto Cloud via the internet.
Port Forwarding Options
After configuring the VLAN and booting the VMs, the Port Forwarding button is available on the main page of the Recovery Launchpad (login required).
Remote Connection to the VM
Access your cloud restore via the Partner Portal and log in to your virtualized machine.
Finding and Configuring IPv4 Addresses
You can either use the IP address that DHCP has automatically assigned your virtual machine, or configure a static IP address.
To find the IP Address:
- From the Windows command prompt, run the program
ipconfigand hit the return key.
- Look for the adapter that has a DNS Suffix containing the name of your VLAN in its sub-domain.
- Your DHCP address will be in the row labeled IPv4 Address.
To configure a Static IP:
- Identify the correct adapter using the steps above.
- Navigate to the Control Panel → Network and Internet → Network & Sharing Center
- Select Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click the adapter then select Properties.
- Click (not check) the Internet Protocol Version 4 row.
- Click the Properties button, then select Use the following IP address radio button.
- From this window, you can assign a private, static IP address to the virtual machine.
- The assigned address must exist within the range specified at the point of VLAN creation.
- If you forget the IP address scheme of your VLAN, you can view the CIDR IP address and gateway IP address by clicking Manage VLANs on the main page of the Recovery Launchpad.
Figure 5: Manage VLANs button
Enter the IP address, and choose which ports to forward.
You can opt to forward port(s)  to a virtual machine.
Once you have forwarded the port, you will see a note next to the record of the virtual machine in the Recovery Launchpad interface. The public IP address / NAT is also displayed.