How do backups work in Datto SaaS Protection/Backupify for Office 365?
- Datto SaaS Protection for Office 365
- Backupify for Office 365
SaaS Protection/Backupify currently backs up the following O365 services:
We back up Office 365 data using Microsoft’s Exchange Web Services (EWS) API.
The backup schedule for Office 365 is fully automated and runs three times daily for each service. The schedule is fully managed, and the run times cannot be adjusted. The backups run according to the following schedule:
- Between 12 AM and 8 AM,
- Between 8 AM and 4 PM
- Between 4 PM and 11:59 PM (EST).
You can launch a backup on-demand by hovering over the 45 time and clicking the resulting Backup Now button. Running an on-demand backup will not affect the three regularly scheduled backups.
- SaaS Protection/Backupify for O365 backs up your shared mailboxes, but not public folders. This is a restriction of the O365 API, as this content is not discoverable through the API.
- SaaS Protection/Backupify for O365 backs up everything except profile pictures.
- O365 doesn't back up shared/group contacts (This is a restriction of the O365 API, as this content is not discoverable through the API).
- Attachments that are references to OneDrive objects are inaccessible through the API and cannot be backed up.
- O365 doesn't back up shared/group calendar. (This is a restriction due to the O365 API, as this content is not discoverable through the API).
- We back up all documents in an individual's OneDrive.
- Microsoft OneNote documents are not accessible through the current API and cannot be backed up. This functionality is, however, available in Backupify 2.0.
- OneDrive does not have a file size limit in terms of files it can back up. However, if you need to recover an item over 250MB, you must Export it rather than Restore it.
- SaaS Protection/Backupify OneDrive backups do not support versioning... we only retain the last version of any backed-up file. We will be adding versioning for OneDrive into a future version of SaaS Protection/Backupify for Office 365.
- SaaS Protection/Backupify OneDrive backups do not capture Image Libraries
SharePoint currently backs up the following data:
- SharePoint Site Document Libraries
- SharePoint Site Templates
- SharePoint Site Assets
- SharePoint Site Lists (Generic List, DocumentLibrary, WebPageLibrary)
- SharePoint Site Pages
- SharePoint Site Collections (Microsoft sites that admins have created that do not fall into the SharePoint Root Site collection)
Handling Backup Exceptions and Issues
If a backup run encounters an issue either on the Datto side or the Microsoft side, then that run may result in a failed backup. In these cases, you will receive a message on the dashboard and the application will automatically retry the backup on the next scheduled run until the run completes successfully.