This article describes the procedure to exclude certain VSS Writers (Microsoft's Volume Shadow Service) from being backed up by a Datto device. This may be used if another VSS-aware solution is running in the same environment for specific VSS Writers.
To exclude a VSS Writer from future backups, follow this procedure:
- Open the web interface for the Datto appliance.
- Click the Protect tab.
- Find the agent you wish to configure, and click Configure Agent Settings.
- Scroll down to the Advanced section to the VSS Writer Exclusion settings, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 - VSS Writer Exclusion Settings
- Check the box(es) for the writer(s) that you wish to exclude from future backups. This will not affect previous backups.
Example: Commonly a SQLSERVERAGENT service may be configured to use the MSDEWriter or SQLServer VSS Writer for its own VSS application aware processes.
- By excluding these VSS Writers, the SQLSERVERAGENT can continue to provide the services its responsible for.
- Keep in mind that backups taken with these VSS Writers excluded will be that of a crash-consistent state for the SQL database when using the default Application-Aware VSS.