This article explains how to exclude individual VSS writers from being backed up by a Datto device. Follow this procedure when another VSS-aware software product in your environment is causing conflicts with the Datto solution.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
To exclude a VSS writer from future backups, follow the procedure outlined below.
1. Open the device GUI for the Datto appliance.
2. Click the Protect tab.
3. Find the agent you wish to configure and click Configure Agent Settings.
4. Scroll down to the Advanced section to VSS Writer Exclusion.
5. Check the boxes for the writers that you wish to exclude from future backups. Excluding writers will not affect previous backups.
The SQLSERVERAGENT service's configuration frequently uses the MSDEWriter VSS writer or the SQLServer VSS writer for its VSS application-aware processes.
- By excluding these VSS writers, the SQLSERVERAGENT can continue to provide the services it is responsible for without interfering with backups to the Datto appliance.
- After excluding these VSS Writers, your SQL database's backups will restore in a crash-consistent state if your Datto appliance is using its default Application-Aware VSS settings.