This article explains how to set up Screenshot Verification for an agent on a Datto device as well as instructions on how to set up the screenshot verification emails.
To set up Screenshot Verification, follow these steps:
1. Access the GUI for the Datto device.
2. Click the Protect tab.
3. Find the agent that you wish to configure.
4. Click Configure Agent Settings for that agent.
5. Go to the Screenshot Verification section, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Screenshot verification settings
6. Choose your schedule option: Last point of the day, First point of the day, Custom schedule, or Never.
7. Choose your additional wait time. If the login screen is not showing in your screenshots, try increasing this wait time.
Setting up Error Notifications
This reporting feature will send an error email if a screenshot is not being performed within a time window. Setting the error threshold determines how much time is allowed to pass without a screenshot being run for this agent.
Figure 2: Screenshot error notification settings
1. Set your error threshold. Enter "0" to disable the alert.
2. Click Apply to apply this setting to this agent. Click Apply to All if you want to apply this setting to all of the agents on this device.
3. Enter the email address(es) to which you want the alerts sent. Separate multiple emails by commas.
4. Check the box if you want to send successful screenshots to a different email list. Once checked, you'll see a new box for this new list.
5. Click Apply to apply the settings to this agent. Click Apply to All to apply the settings to all agents on the device. Click Send a Test Email if you'd like to get a sample screenshot.
Recommended Scheduling for Backups and Screenshots
The default backup schedule on Datto appliances follows an hourly interval, from 8 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Friday, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Local backup schedule interval
Datto recommends scheduling backups to run during the hours that the production machine is in production. For example, if the machine is operational between the hours of 8 AM and 8 PM, you should have 12 backups in that day, as we would want to take 1 backup every hour.
By default, a screenshot is performed on the latest recovery point (backup) of the day. So taking the above example we have, the screenshot would run right after the last recovery point which would be 8 PM. This would look like this:
Figure 4: Screenshot verification schedule options
The recommended setting for this is the default setting, Last point of the day. You can also schedule screenshots to run at the beginning of the day by clicking the dropdown next to Schedule Options and setting it to First Point of the day.