This article gets you started with the USB BMR process for disaster recovery. For best results, review the Datto Disaster Recovery Guide before you get started.
Requirements for the target hardware:
- Must be able to boot from USB
- Must be on the same network as the Datto device
- Must be 64 bit hardware
You should have the following items available when starting this process:
- USB stick that is 8 GB or larger
- We will automatically detect storage controllers and inject them as needed. You may still want to collect any other drivers to apply after the imaging is complete.
- If your backups are encrypted, then you will need to encryption passphrase for the protected system that you are restoring.
Imaging the USB Drive
- Plug the USB stick into one of the open USB ports on the back of the Datto device.
- From the web interface, click the Restore link at the top of the page.
Figure 1 - Restore Tab
- Select the protected machine that you wish to restore. Then, click Bare Metal Restore, and then click Start USB Imaging.
Figure 2 - Start a Recovery
- Select the USB drive that you want to image with the USB BMR environment. If you do not see the USB drive in the list, click the Refresh Drive List button, and then try again. If you still don't see the USB drive, plug the USB into another port of the device, wait about 15 seconds, and then refresh again.
Figure 3 - Choose a disk
- Click Start Imaging. You will see the status as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4 - Imaging Process
Figure 5 - Successful completion of imaging process.
- Once the imaging process completes successfully, as shown in Figure 5, unplug the USB stick, and proceed to the article USB Bare Metal Restore: Booting the target machine from USB.