This article describes how to navigate and view the backup and agent logs available on a Datto device.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
Your Datto appliance provides logs for backup and agent operations right within its UI. These logs are useful for assessing backup jobs on a granular level, and for troubleshooting errors.
To view your agent's backup logs:
1. Navigate to the web UI on the device.
2. Select the Protect tab.
3. Scroll down to the table referencing your protected machine, and click Show Backup Logs, as shown in Figure 1.
Backup logs display all the steps the agent goes through during its backup process. The example shown in Figure 2 shows that a backup failed due to not enough free space on the Datto device.
You can also click Shown more... to view additional backup log entries.
Agent logs display all operations and tasks that an agent performs when taking a backing up a machine. The Datto appliance queries the agent each time you view the Agent Logs page; if it cannot communicate with the agent, no logs will display.
To view the logs, navigate to Backup Logs associated with your protected machine, then click Show Agent Logs, as shown in Figure 3.
The Agent Log page organizes logs chronologically, listing the newest entries at the bottom of the page. Figure 4 provides an example of a successful backup.
Agent Job Status
The Agent Job Status section of the Agent Logs page provides a list of recent backup jobs, along with the disk volume associated with the job, and its current status.
The Agent Job Status section organizes jobs in the following manner:
- Active Jobs: Any volume part of a running backup
- Failed Jobs: Failed backup attempts of a volume
- Finished Jobs: Completed, successful backups of a volume
- Rollback Jobs: Operations the Datto appliance performs in the event of a failed backup. The device removes the failed snapshot and establishes the previous successful snapshot as the latest point in the backup chain
- Aborted Jobs: Backups stopped by an operator in the Datto appliance UI
You can click the + symbol next to any job type containing at least one. This displays a table listing the last three jobs and the following information:
- Job: The alphanumeric value assigned to a job
- Date: The timestamp of a job
- Volume (type, filesystem): The volume associated with a job, followed by its type and filesystem
- Volume status: The status of a volume for a single job (i.e., Figure
- Job sent/size: The actual amount of data the job transmitted to the Datto appliance, followed by the expected amount
- Volume used/total: The amount of data stored by a volume on a protected machine, followed by the volume's total capacity