When starting a virtualization, or when performing a screenshot verification of a protected machine, you briefly see a 0x0000007b blue screen error failure state, followed by a reboot.
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- The driver for the selected virtualization storage controller is missing, incompatible, or corrupt.
- A Group Policy setting on the production machine is causing a 0x0000007b error on virtualization.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot this issue if you see the following screen.
Figure 1: Screenshot failure with blue screen
Check the storage controller
1. Change the storage controller listed in the Configure Agent Settings page for the impacted system. For Vista and newer operating systems, try SATA or SCSI. Older operating systems may require one of the IDE controller options.
Figure 2: Virtualization Storage Controller setting
2. After changing the storage controller setting, attempt another virtualization or screenshot verification, and observe the results.
Check for group policy enforcement
1 Ensure that the following Group Policy settings are not enforced on the protected system:
- Computer Configuration → Policies → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions → Prevent installation of removable devices
- Computer Configuration → Policies → Administrative Templates → System → Device Installation → Device Installation Restrictions → Prevent installation of devices using drivers that match these device setup classes
2. If both settings are disabled, ensure that the group policy setting is actually applied to the production machine by following the steps in this article: Stop 0x0000007B" error after you use a Group Policy setting to prevent the installation of devices in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 (external link). Certain antivirus applications, such as ESET Antivirus, have been known to override these registry entries.
3. After performing steps 3 - 4, perform a new backup of the affected machine. Attempt a virtualization or screenshot of the new point created, and observe the results.
Do a differential merge
If the problem persists, force a differential merge of the affected system. When the backup completes, attempt a virtualization or screenshot of the new point created, and observe the results.
If the issue persists, contact Datto Technical Support for further assistance.