This article describes the cause and possible solution for the error STC Failure occurred mid transfer. Final Error (-2 The System Cannot Find The File Specified.)
- A common cause for this error is a damaged disk on the protected machine, or bad sectors on the physical-layer of a protected volume.
- It can also indicate a corrupted ShadowProtect installation or conflicting ShadowProtect installs (Previous versions, Server, Desktop, non-MSP installs)
- For more insight, please review the StorageCraft KB here: http://www.storagecraft.com/support/kb/article/289
- Set Share Compatibility Mode from the advanced options tab on the agent, and ensure there is a public DNS entry in the Networking tab.
- Check Agent Version
- Make sure that no previous versions of the software have been installed and no ShadowProtect backup jobs are being run.
- Check Device Manager for any abandoned 'StorageCraft Snapshot' devices. These may be listed under 'Other devices' or 'System devices' and may require enabling 'Show hidden devices'. If they are grayed out, right click on the item and then choose Uninstall.
- Force a differential merge from the Advanced section under the Configure Agent Settings page.
- Run a
chkdsk /rto fix and repair any bad disk sectors on the target server.
If all of the previous steps have failed, you can try an advanced solution.
- Go to the Windows menu, and type regedit into the search bar.
- In the Registry Editor, click the File menu, and click Export...
- Save a backup of your registry.
- Next, navigate to this key:
Delete the folders inside of this key, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1 - Delete STC Snapshot keys
If you get an permissions error, try the following procedure:
- Download PsExec from http://live.sysinternals.com/psexec.exe.
- From the command line in the same directory as psexec.exe, run the following command:
psexec.exe -hsi regedit.exe
- Again, try to remove this key:
Repair agent communications to the protected system, and attempt the backup again.