This article discusses issues with not being able to virtualize recent backup points on ALTO and ALTO XL devices.
This article will go over the following:
- How ALTO Virtualizations Work
- The Virtualization Process
- Issues That Can Prevent Virtualizing Recent Points
ALTO devices use Hybrid Virtualization. This means that the virtual machine is created, mounted and hosted on a Datto cloud server. The virtual machine is put on a Virtual Local Area Network (VLAN) and is bridged to the LAN where the Datto resides through a VPN tunnel. This makes the virtual machine accessible from the same local network as the ALTO device.
Hybrid Virtualization Process
The steps to mount a Hybrid Virtualization on an ALTO device are as follows:
- Navigate to the Restore tab of the Web Interface.
- Select the agent for the virtualization.
- Select the Virtualize option.
- Select the recovery point to be virtualized.
- Click the Start Hybrid Virtualization button.
The next page allows for the configuration of the Hybrid Virtualization. The configuration includes:
- Memory Allotment
- Storage Controller Selection
- Network Connectivity Options
Once the configuration has been set, please do the following:
- Click the Build VM button to begin the creation of the virtual machine.
- This process may take a few moments as the virtual machine is being created and mounted on the off-site server.
- Then select the Mount and Start VM button to start the virtual machine.
Once the virtual machine has been mounted, the page will refresh and give the options to:
- Stop VM
- Reset VM
- Send CTL+ALT+DEL
- Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) link.
For more details on this process, see the article Hybrid Virtualization on the ALTO.
Issues Virtualizing a Recent Backup
The ALTO device can only virtualize a backup which has synced to the Datto cloud server and unpacked successfully. In most cases, this means that you cannot virtualize the current day's restore points.
Make sure that the agents on an ALTO device stay up to date in regards to their cloud replication. If an agent's cloud replication process is very far behind, the most recent backup can not be used to bring up a virtual machine in the event of a disaster recovery scenario.
ALTO devices are not meant to be used as local backup only devices. If the agents on the device are not set to replicate to the cloud, the restore processes will be limited to the following:
- File Restores
- Image Exports
- Bare Metal Restores
Making sure that the agents are fully replicated to the Datto cloud eases the restore process dramatically and allows for the latest backup to be used for a Hybrid Virtualization.