This article covers sizing tiers for ALTO devices and the recommended solutions to reduce overages.
- Datto ALTO
Here is some information regarding the different ALTO devices and their capacity for the total offsite storage space:
Up to 150GB of total offsite storage space
Up to 250GB of total offsite storage space
Up to 500GB of total offsite storage space
Any of the above tiers will be billed at the next largest tiers if exceeded at the monthly billing cycle at the end of the month.
Up to 1000GB of total offsite storage space
Any overages will be applied monthly based on how much you exceed this limit. For further information on this please contact your Sales Representative.
Monitoring the Offsite Storage
To monitor and check the offsite storage, follow these steps:
1. Log into the Partner Portal.
2. From there, click the Status menu, and choose BCDR Status.
Figure 1: Device Status
3. From the devices tab, find your device in the right hand device list, and click on it.
4. This will populate a left hand device pane. From this pane, click on the Advanced tab, and find the Offsite Audit hyperlink labeled Run Audit (Figure 2).
5. Click on the link to generate an offsite report for this device.
Figure 2: Run Audit
6. The audit report will be visible for a period of time.
For an in-depth explanation of this report, see our Offsite Audit Report article.
Ways to Free Up Space and/or Reduce Overages
Due to the way Datto devices store data, the inverse chain does not allow removing points in the middle of the backup chain to free up space. Each point relies on other points in order to provide reliability in the data. The space used by each recovery point snapshot changes with the distribution of data change throughout all of the data set.
For more information about how the Datto devices store data, check out the following article:
Managing Recovery Points
The fastest way to reduce your overages is to manually delete the offsite points yourself, starting with your oldest recovery points. To do this, log into the Web UI of the Datto and go to the Protect tab, find your Agent and choose Manage Recovery Points.
In order to do this, follow these steps:
1. Log into the web interface of the Datto device.
2. Go to the Protect tab.
3. Find the agent needed to do this and select Manage Recovery Points.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on each blue Delete Cloud button up to the point where it's been determined the large change occurred.
Figure 3: Manage Recovery Points
Adjusting Retention Settings
Retention settings can also be a great help to manage space. For more information about how offsite retention settings work, check out this article:
To access these settings, follow these steps:
1. Log into the web interface for the device.
2. Select the Protect tab.
3. Find the agent needed, and select Configure Agent Settings.
4. In the Configure Agent Settings section, adjust the Offsite Retention interval for Delete Offsite
Figure 4: Offsite Retention Settings
Troubleshooting Large Backups
Refer to the following article to understand why large backups can occur and what you can do to prevent them: