This article discusses the potential causes and solutions to hard drive temperature alerts stated by the Datto device.
When a hard drive is read at 55 Celsius, it indicates high temperature on the Datto device. The devices use Western Digital Caviar SATA hard drives that can withstand up to 60 Celsius without affect.
Example of the hard drive temperature alert:
Bad smart status found for drive sda. Below item(s) triggered the alert (for additional details please go to partners.datto.com/status ). Temperature: 55 C
1. Examine the frequency of the alert. Is the alert being sent multiple times at the same time or the specific block of time during the day? If the alert is being sent at the same time intervals, verify the site is not experiencing any environmental changes such as air conditioning failures or changes where the device is located.
2. Ensure all ventilation areas on the device are not blocked and that a cool airflow supply is provided with appropriate levels of circulations. For example, tower units must have top ventilation ducts exposed completely with no obstructions.
3. Verify that all fans are fully functional and are not emitting any unusual noises.
4. Check that the fans are properly connected to the motherboard and that all plugs are connected.
5. If the drive still reports excessive temperature alerts after physically inspecting the device, check for potential faulty hardware and call Datto Technical Support for further assistance.