This article provides troubleshooting steps for the error message Could not start the StorageCraft Raw Agent Service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
This error can occur when the StorageCraft Raw Agent cannot start, and prevents backups from running.
1. First, stop all of the StorageCraft services, and kill any related processes. This includes:
- StorageCraft Raw Agent
- StorageCraft Shadow Copy Provider
- ShadowProtect Service
2. Next, restart the services. If one of the services cannot restart, please do the following:
- Click Properties on the service
- Ensure the service's Log On As property is set to Local System and Startup Type is set to Automatic
3. If the same error message continues, check the Windows System Logs for Service Control Manager errors. They should mention ServicesPipeTimout, and have an event ID of either 7000 or 7001.
4. On the Windows Start Menu, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Locate and click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control registry sub-key.
5. In the right pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry. If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you will need to create it by following these steps:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type ServicesPipeTimeout, and then press ENTER.
6. Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify.
7. Click Decimal, type 60000, and then click OK.
8. Reboot the production machine.
9. If the issue continues, this may be an indication of a corrupt ShadowSnap install. Fully remove and reinstall the application by following the steps in Using Revo Uninstaller Pro To Uninstall ShadowSnap And ShadowProtect.
10. If you have any further issues, contact Datto Technical Support for assistance.