This article gives information and resources about the following error: "Final error (-109 The pipe has been ended.)"
This error message indicates a communication issue between the device and the protected machine. It typically is accompanied by a more specific error that will give further insight why a backup attempt wasn't successful.
By looking at the agent logs, it can show the error(s) happening when a backup is attempting to run:
- Navigate to the Remote Web interface for the device.
- Under the Protect tab, select Backup Logs.
- Select Show Agent Logs which will bring you to a new window.
The agent log shows the process that the agent goes through when attempting to do backups. Please review and analyze this log for any red errors.
Due to this being a general error caused by a more specific issue, this one error does not give much insight to see what's potentially causing the failure.
After looking through the logs, below are some resources of potential errors found along with their causes and solution(s):
- -121 The semaphore timeout period has expired
- Initial Troubleshooting Of Read / Write / Final Error (-31 A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning.)
- -32 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
- Too small destination volume: must be XXXXXXXXX sectors, is XXXXXXXXX
- -2 The system cannot find the file specified
- GUID mismatch
Also, check out the following knowledge base that goes in more detail and steps when troubleshooting: