When you try to start a backup for a production machine protected by the ShadowSnap agent, you receive the error message "Final error (-109 The pipe has been ended.)"
- ShadowSnap Agent
This error message indicates a communication issue between the Datto appliance and the protected machine. It is normally accompanied by a more specific error which provides information about why a backup attempt wasn't successful.
The Datto appliance's Protect page will allow you to see the error(s) happening when the backup runs:
- Navigate to the Remote Web interface for the device.
- Under the Protect tab, select the Backup Logs.
- Select Show Agent Logs.
The agent log shows the process that the agent goes through when attempting to do backups. Review and analyze this log for any recorded errors, and then proceed to the next section of this article.
After identifying the error(s) logged, follow the steps to resolution described in the article which matches the recorded reason for the backup failure:
- -121 The semaphore timeout period has expired
- Initial Troubleshooting Of Read / Write / Final Error (-31 A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning.)
- -32 The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
- Too small destination volume: must be XXXXXXXXX sectors, is XXXXXXXXX
- -2 The system cannot find the file specified
- GUID mismatch