When you try to start a backup for a production machine protected by the ShadowSnap agent, you receive the error message "Final error (-109 The pipe has been ended.)"
- ShadowSnap Agent
This error message indicates a communication issue between the Datto appliance and the protected machine. It is normally accompanied by a more specific error which provides information about why a backup attempt wasn't successful.
The Datto appliance's Protect page will allow you to see the error(s) happening when the backup runs:
- Navigate to the Remote Web interface for the device.
- Under the Protect tab, select the Backup Logs.
- Select Show Agent Logs.
The agent log shows the process that the agent goes through when attempting to do backups. Review and analyze this log for any recorded errors, and then proceed to the next section of this article.
After identifying the error(s) logged, follow the steps to resolution described in the article which matches the recorded reason for the backup failure:
- Error: Backup Failed Due To A Process Timeout On The Protected System
- Error: Backup Failed Due To I/O Error From The Protected System During The Backup Process
- Error: Final Error (-32 The Process Cannot Access The File Because It Is Being Used By Another Process.)
- Error: STC failure occurred mid transfer - Too small destination volume
- Error: Backup Failed Because The Agent Was Unable To Access A Necessary File Path On The Protected System
- Error: Backup Failed Due To A Problem With Incremental Tracking