This article describes the process to register a new Datto NAS device. To register any other type of Datto appliance, see the steps here.
1. Log into the web interface for the device.
2. Click the Register Device button (Figure 1).
3. The page will be redirected to the Datto NAS Registration page (Figure 2).
Figure 1 - Register Device button
Figure 2 - Registration Page
4. Fill out the registration page, and click Next.
5. In the Local Users & Permissions, add any user(s) along with the permissions credentials. Once complete, select Next (Figure 3).
Figure 3 - Local Users & Permissions
6. On the Network Settings page, set a Static IP Address for the primary NIC (Figure 4 uses eth0 as an example). When done, select Next.
- Tips: To avoid network conflicts, make sure that this static IP address is outside of the DHCP scope.
- To configure additional NICS, see the article Auxiliary NIC Settings.
Figure 4 - IP Settings
7. On the DNS Settings page, confirm that the local DNS server for this device is listed properly under the DNS Server section. Add an auxiliary public DNS server in case of a failure due to a disaster situation (Figure 5). Once complete, select Next.
Figure 5 - DNS Settings
8. In the Windows Networking page, add the Datto NAS to a Windows domain by navigating to the Domain option followed by filling in the necessary information (Figure 6). For more explanation on the domains, check out the following article:
Figure 6 - Windows Networking
9. In the NTP Servers section, you can change the default NTP server (Figure 7). Once complete, select Next.
Figure 7 - NTP Servers
10. The next section is the Off-Site Synchronization Settings Page. Set the MAXIMUM Off-Site Sync Bandwidth Limit (Figure 8).
Figure 8 - Off-Site Sync Bandwidth Limit
11. Set the Off-Site Sync Schedule. These settings allow restricted bandwidth usage during business hours (Figure 9). Once complete, select Next.
- Note: We recommend that you always sync at least a small amount of data to make sure there is no lag in rehashing what needs to be sent.
- Tip: We recommend that you set the upload speed to throttle down from the maximum during work hours only.
Figure 9 - Off-Site Sync Scheduling
The registration is now complete. Click on Create Your First Share to create a NAS share (Figure 10).
Figure 10 - Registration Completed