This article describes the steps to restore a thin-provisioned VMDK image export to a VMware vSphere environment.
Use the VMDK / VMDK-linked export method if you need to copy the image export as thick-provisioned.
- Datto ALTO
- Datto SIRIS
To export a thin-provisioned disk image for use on VMware ESXi host:
1. Access the Datto appliance GUI.
2. Click the Restore tab.
3. Select the system to restore, and then click Export Image.
4. Choose the recovery point that you want to use, and then click Start Restore.
5. Choose the Destination. In Figure 2, the device is sending the restore to a Network Share.
6. Select VMDK as the Format.
- VMDK-linked image exports are not compatible with VMware Converter, and cannot be used to complete this process.
7. Select the desired boot type: MBR, EFI, or Auto Detect.
8. Click Export. The Datto appliance will create a clone of the point you selected and share it on the local network.
9. The GUI will refresh with new options. Copy either the Samba or NFS VMDK share path to your clipboard.
10. Launch VMware Converter standalone.
11. Create a new VMX template on your hypervisor for the virtual machine, and attach the .datto files in the network share to the export as disks.
12. Click Convert Machine.
13. Select Powered off, followed by VMware Workstation or other VMware virtual machine as the Source Type, and click Browse.
14. Select the VMX template you created in Step 11.
15. Click Next. Set the Destination Type to VMware Infrastructure Virtual Machine.
16. Enter your server address and server credentials in the VMware Infrastructure server details field. Click Next.
Figure 5: Destination System
17. In the Name field, enter the VM name that you want to assign to the export and click Next.
18. Choose the datastore in which to house the information.
19. Select the virtual machine version. It is reliant on the version of ESXi that you are converting into. This example uses Version 9. Note that Version 10 is incompatible with the vSphere desktop client.
20. Click Next. Set the Data to copy field to Thin provisioning.
Figure 6: Transfer settings wizard
21. Click Next, and then Finish. The transfer job will start running on your host.
22. When the transfer completes, access your vSphere environment. Make sure that the machine's settings match the needs of your environment. Make any adjustments needed.
23. Boot the virtual machine. Make sure that it boots to the Windows login screen.
24. After confirming that the virtual machine functions as expected, return to the Export Image screen in your Datto appliance's GUI, and click Unmount to remove the shared clone.