This article details different ways to configure the desktop client to synchronize only the files and folders you need. For information on setting up and accessing Datto Drive on your Datto appliance see Datto Drive Local: Datto Drive Local starter guide.
- Datto Drive Local
The Datto Drive desktop client allows you to synchronize folders on your local machine to Datto Drive.
You can connect to the Datto Drive instance on your local network at https:// IP address of your Datto device /dattodrive or over the internet at the address provided in the Datto Device Web UI if the internet access option has been configured.
Single Folder Sync
Use these steps when you'd like only to have one local folder synchronized with your account.
After installing the Desktop Client, the last page on the Configuration Wizard will present options to determine what you would like synced.
On this page, you will be given options to select which data you'd like to have synced to your local desktop, as well as to which folder to sync this data into.
- Server: This is where you will select which folders on the server you would like synced with your local desktop
- Local Folder: This is where you will select the local folder into which all of the DattoDrive data will sync.
Datto recommends this configuration for most users.
Specific Folder(s) Sync:
Use this configuration when you'd like to either sync multiple local folders with your account or set up a folder-to-folder sync between the two locations.
1. When initially configuring the desktop client, select Skip folders configuration to configure this afterward manually.
2. Click Finish on the last page and open up DattoDrive settings by clicking the System Tray icon and selecting Settings...
The settings page should look similar to the image below since you have not configured folders to be synced.
3. select the "Add Folder Sync Connection" button shown above. By default, the system will create a "dattodrive" folder within your user's home directory. If you'd like to select a different folder, select "Choose" and browse to the folder you want to be synced, then click Continue.
4. Select the folder within DattoDrive you want this local folder to sync to. Once complete, select Continue.
In the example below, a folder named "testDrive" was created within DattoDrive to sync with the local "testDrive" folder. You also can create a new folder and chose that as your destination as well.
5. Select or deselect any remote subfolders there may be. If you created this folder in the last step, this page should be empty.
6. Select Add Sync Connection to finalize the connection.
Below is an example of multiple local folders being added as a "Sync Connection".
Repeat this process for any additional local folders with which you wish to add a sync connection.