This article explains the Version Control functions of Datto Drive and how to revert to a previous version of a file.
Datto Drive supports simple version control system for files. Versioning creates backups of files which are accessible via the Versions tab on the Details sidebar. This tab contains the history of the file where you can roll back a file to any previous version. Changes made at intervals greater than two minutes are saved in data/[user]/versions.
Restoring a Version
To restore a specific version of a file, click the circular arrow to the left. Click on the time stamp to download it.
The versioning app expires old versions automatically to make sure that the user doesn't run out of space.
Version retention works as follows:
- For the first second, Datto Drive keeps one version.
- For the first 10 seconds, Datto Drive keeps one version every 2 seconds.
- For the first minute, Datto Drive keeps one version every 10 seconds.
- For the first hour, Datto Drive keeps one version every minute.
- For the first 24 hours, Datto Drive keeps one version every hour.
- For the first 30 days, Datto Drive keeps one version every day.
- After the first 30 days, Datto Drive keeps one version every week.
The versions are adjusted along this pattern every time a new version gets created.
The version app never uses more that 50% of the user's currently available free space. If the stored versions exceed this limit, Datto Drive deletes the oldest versions until it meets the disk space limit again.