This article explains how to troubleshoot the error message "Critical Backup Failure: Failed to create VM snapshot at second attempt - aborting"
You may receive this error message in one of two circumstances:
- performing an agentless pairing or
- backing up an agentless machine
More than likely the error is a result of stopped or disabled services on the virtual machine.
Steps to Resolve
To begin resolving the error, launch the VM and open the system's Services window (Start menu > type "Services").
- See if the Virtual Disk service is running. If it is running, verify that the Startup Type column reads "Automatic." If it's anything else, right-click it and select "Properties," then set the Startup Type to "Automatic."
- Restart the VM once you have done this.
- See if the VMware Snapshot Provider service is running. If it is and is running, right click it > "Properties" and set the Startup Type to "Disabled" and click OK. Then stop the service by clicking the "Stop" link under VMware tools.
- Find the VMware Tools service and restart it by clicking the "Restart" link.