How do I set up two-factor authentication for my employees?
- Two-Factor Authentication
- Datto Partner Portal
Two-factor authentication requires that each of your employees with permission to access your firm's Partner Portal account have an associated mobile phone number. Employees authenticate via their phones.
Enabling Two-Factor Authentication
1. In the Partner Portal, click the Admin tab and select Manage Employees from the drop-down menu.
2. Select Yes for the option to enable two-factor authentication for your partner account (this option will not succeed if any of your employees do not have a mobile phone number recorded in their profile).
Setting up for authentication
To start using two-factor authentication, both the admin and the employee must take action:
Employees: Each employee should download and set up the Authy app on the mobile device associated with their phone number. Authy is available for free for Windows, Mac, Chrome, iOS, and Android.
Admin: Each employee profile must have a mobile phone number on record. To edit an employee's profile:
1. On the Manage Employees page, click the pencil icon to open the Edit Employee window.
2. Enter the employee's mobile phone number as a continuous number. Do not use spaces, punctuation marks or dashes. When finished, click the Save Changes button.
The mobile phone number is now part of the employee profile.
When logging into the Partner Portal, employees will be prompted to enter an authentication key.
At this point, the tech must authenticate via ANY ONE of the following options:
- Authy OneTouch. Entering credentials into the Partner Portal triggers an alert in the Authy app on the tech's mobile device. Swiping the alert completes the authentication.
- Request the portal to send an SMS token to the relevant phone number. Enter the key in the Token or Security Key field, then click Sign In to complete the authentication.
If you lose your phone, you can continue accessing your Partner Portal account after performing a 2-factor authentication reset or resetting your phone number once you have a new one.
- If you have the same phone number as before, you only have to reinstall the Authy app to regain access.
- If your phone number has changed, go to https://www.authy.com/phones/change to reset your number. Click the I don’t have access to my phone button at the bottom of the screen to get started. Once submitted, the process can take up to 72 hours to complete.
- Consider installing Authy on multiple devices that use the same phone number (e.g., iPhone and iPad).