This article is a user guide for Datto's new Direct Restore Utility. This utility is a Windows executable that lets you mount an iSCSI file restore of any recovery point from your Datto appliance with the following benefits:
- The utility is very easy to use.
- Files retain their permissions when you transfer them from the utility back to your Windows desktop.
- You can restore files touched by Windows deduplication.
- You can restore files touched by Windows file encryption.
1. Download the Direct Restore Utility.
2. Close all other applications.
3. Run the installer program. When installation is complete, launch the Direct Restore Utility.
Figure 1: Installation complete
4. In the Login dialog box, click the Host menu to see all Datto devices on the network.
Figure 2: Select the host
5. Enter backup-admin as the Username, and fill in the Password field. You can find the backup-admin password in status 2.0 on partners.dattobackup.com.
Figure 3: Enter username and password.
6. Choose the agent and snapshot you want to mount, then click Mount.
Notes and restrictions:
- This utility does not work on Windows 2000.
- This utility will not mount a recovery point from a Mac as a drive in Windows.
- If your restore does not show up as a drive in Windows, open Disk Management, right click on the drive, and select Online. It should then show up with a drive letter.
- If there is data corruption in the recovery point, you will not be able to chkdsk the disk. If you need help recovering from corruption, contact Technical Support.