This article explains Datto's Direct Restore Utility.
- Datto Direct Restore
- Windows XP or newer
- Microsoft iSCSI initiator must be installed on the production system accessing the restore
- Windows 2000 is unsupported
- Recovery points from macOS will not mount as a logical drive in Windows
This utility is a Windows executable that lets you mount an iSCSI file restore of any recovery point from the Datto appliance with the following benefits:
- The utility is easy to use.
- Files retain their permissions when you transfer them from the utility back to your Windows desktop.
- You can restore files touched by Windows deduplication.
- You can restore files touched by Windows file encryption.
1. Download the Direct Restore Utility.
2. Close all other applications.
3. Run the installer program. When installation is complete, launch the Direct Restore Utility.
Figure 1: Installation complete
4. In the Login dialog box, click the Host menu to see all Datto devices on the network.
Figure 2: Select the host
5. Enter the local user on the Datto Device as the Username, and fill in the Password field.
Figure 3: Enter username and password.
6. Choose the agent and snapshot you want to mount, then click Mount.
- If your restore does not show up as a drive in Windows, open Disk Management, right click on the drive, and select Online. It should then show up with a drive letter.
- If there is data corruption in the recovery point, you will not be able to chkdsk the disk. If you need help recovering from corruption, contact Technical Support.
- Copying and pasting the files through Windows Explorer may result in a loss of file/folder permissions. Datto recommends using Robocopy to copy files from the restore.