This article describes the secondary replication feature for Datto appliances.
- Datto SIRIS
Available exclusively for the SIRIS product line, this feature provides partners in Canada, UK, and EMEA the option to have their data replicated from their primary data center to a secondary data center.
This feature is enabled by default during the device registration process and can only be toggled on or off. You can change your secondary replication setting by following the steps described in the Managing secondary replication on your Datto appliance section of this article.
- Secondary data center locations
- Feature details
- Managing secondary replication on your Datto appliance
Secondary data center locations
Data center replication is determined based on the appliance's geographic region. It is not possible to manually change the target data center. The secondary data center for each location is as follows:
- Canada → Calgary
- UK → Iceland
- Germany → Iceland
- Australia → Melbourne* (Coming soon -Secondary replication is not yet enabled for Australia)
Datto shares secondary replication within the United States between its bi-coastal data centers.
- To protect your data from malicious deletion, removing any replicated backup points through the device UI (either through the Manage Recovery Points page or as a result of retention activity) will only delete data from the local appliance and its primary data center.
- Datto stores all backups replicated to secondary data centers as daily snapshots and retains them at the secondary location for up to 90 days.
Managing secondary replication on your Datto appliance
To control the Secondary Replication setting, access the GUI of your Datto appliance. From the device home page, click Configure → Device Settings. You can find the Secondary Replication toggle in the location shown in Figure 1.
You can choose to enable or disable secondary replication. The feature will not automatically re-enable itself if you disable it.