When you attempt a backup of a protected machine, you receive the error message, "Final error (-8 Not enough storage is available to process this command.)"
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- This error code is an official Microsoft System Error Code (external link), that means, "not enough memory."
- There is not enough free space on the protected drive to run a backup.
- For Windows Server 2008, the protected machine does not have Microsoft Hotfix KB976494 (external link) installed.
- Desktop heap allocation issues can also cause this error.
Check the available space of each protected volume. Datto recommends maintaining at least 30% free space per protected volume, with a minimum of 20% free space per protected volume at all times.
0 – 70%
Utilization is good.
71 – 80%
Utilization is outside optimal limits. Monitor the volume growth and look at cleaning up unnecessary files and moving non-essential data to other storage.
81 – 100%
Volume is becoming critical. Snapshots will start to fail, disk queue lengths will increase. Create space.
- For Windows Server 2008, install Microsoft Hotfix KB976494. You must reboot the protected machine after installing this hotfix.
- For troubleshooting desk heap allocation issues, read this article.