This article explains how to configure, access, and use the BIOS Setup Utility to access a SIRIS 3 Business through IPMI.
- Datto SIRIS 3 Business
The IPMI port is a standalone management port located on the rear of the Datto appliance, and is not part of the LAN array. It is located above the USB ports of these Datto devices:
Before you can access your device's management interface, you must configure IPMI networking and administrator passwords through the SIRIS GUI. See the Network Configuration User Interface article for details.
Login to IPMI
Now that you have an IP address defined for the dedicated IPMI port, you can now connect to your appliance to manage it via IPMI. See How Do I Access IPMI on SIRIS 3 devices Remotely From the Partner Portal? to learn how to connect to your appliance remotely. If you prefer to access the appliance via your LAN, follow the steps below.
1. Go to a computer that is connected to the same LAN as the Datto device, and open a web browser.
2. In the address bar of your web browser, enter the IP address you configured earlier.
3. When you get the login page, enter your credentials:
- Username: admin
- Contact Tech Support for the password
4. You are now remotely logged into the Datto device's management interface. Here you can control power, monitor system health, and add virtual media such as CD, DVD ROM, floppy disk images.
Change User Password
For security reasons, change your password right away. Follow these steps to do so:
1. From the left-hand menu, click Configuration, and select Users.
2. Select the admin user by clicking the UserID value.
3. Select the Change Password check-box, and enter your new password. Then, click Apply Changes.
4. When you get the message Modified user successfully, click OK.
5. Once you've changed the administrator password, disable any other administrator accounts. To do so, go through the same process to modify the anonymous user, and un-check the box that says Enable User. Click the Apply Changes button to finish the process.
Launching Remote Console
The IPMI interface allows you to launch a remote console session into the Datto appliance. To use this console, you must have Java installed on your workstation. To launch a session, follow these steps:
1. Click the Launch button in the vKVM & vMedia category. Then, click Launch Java vKVM Viewer, as shown in Figure 4.
2. A remote control applet will download. Click Keep (or Save) to download and keep the file.
Figure 5: Keep the file
3. Click the viewer.jnlp file to launch the console. You will see the console window shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Video Viewer Console Window
Accessing the Datto Appliance Command Line
If you would like to access the command line of the Datto appliance through IPMI, follow these steps:
1. Go into the Macros menu, and click Ctrl-Alt-F?. Then, select Ctrl + Alt + F1.
Figure 7: Ctrl + Alt + F1
2. You will then see the Datto OS command line.
Figure 8: Command Line
3. When you are finished using the command line, click CTRL + Alt + F7 to get back to the GUI.
Server Power Control
Another great feature of the Setup Utility is the ability to control power options, even if the device is fully powered down. To access this feature, click the Power menu, as shown in Figure 13.
Figure 9: Power Control
The power control options are as follows:
- Power On System: powers on the system
- Power Off System: powers off the system
- Graceful Shutdown: closes all running processes and gracefully shuts down the system
- Reset System (warm boot): immediately reboots the system
- Power Cycle System (cold boot): immediately reboots the system with a complete power off and power on