This article lists the causes of, and possible solutions to, the error message "Your device has expired."
Datto appliances must have an active service contract to continue functioning. You can find a full description of Datto's service billing policies here.
If you see the errors described in this article on a Datto device, it means that:
- Its service contract has expired, or
- An issue on the device is preventing it from downloading updated service information.
When your device's service expires, a yellow banner, warning you about the expiration, will appear in its GUI. The appliance will continue to function for a grace period of 30 days.
Figure 1: Expired device in 30-day grace period.
If you do not restore service to the device within 30 days, backups, retention, and offsite synchronization will stop functioning. The appliance will display a red banner in the GUI, letting you know that these functions are no longer enabled.
Figure 2: Expired device outside 30-day grace period.
1. Check the device's billing status in the partner portal at https://partners.dattobackup.com/service.php.
2. Contact Datto Technical Support. A technician will help determine if your appliance's service has expired, or if a technical issue is preventing the device from communicating with its Datto server.
- If your device has an expired service contract, Technical Support will assist with connecting you to your Sales Executive to renew its service.
- If your device has an active service contract, but a service expiration alert is present in the GUI, Technical Support will work to resolve the underlying issue as quickly as possible.