How do I set up an Autotask integration with my Datto device?
- Datto SIRIS
- Datto ALTO
- Datto NAS
- Datto Autotask PSA
- Configure the Autotask integration in the Partner Portal
- Configure Autotask PSA
- Resource permissions in Autotask PSA
- Datto Alert Ticket and Configuration Item in Autotask PSA
- The Datto Alerts tab in Autotask PSA
- Additional Resources
Before starting, ensure you have met the following prerequisites:
- You have an Administrator Security Level in Datto Autotask PSA.
- You have access to the credentials of an Autotask PSA user account with an API User Security Level.
- You have a valid email configured for both device alerts (in the Datto Partner Portal) and agent alerts (on the Datto device).
Configure the Autotask integration in the Partner Portal
1. Access the Datto Partner Portal by logging in with your account credentials.
2. From the top menu, select Admin, then choose Integrations from the drop-down menu.
3. Select Autotask in the options bar.
4. Enter the username and password of a Datto Autotask PSA API User account, then click Authenticate.
You will be redirected to the Integrations/Autotask PSA page (Figure 4).
This page is made up of three sections that let you customize and manage the Datto Autotask PSA Integration for all your Datto devices:
For more information about the advanced Datto integration, visit the following online PSA help article: The Advanced Datto BCDR Integration.
In this section of the Autotask PSA/Integration page, you will see the following:
(A)The username you entered for authentication in a greyed-out box.
(B) You will also see a button to enable or disable the Autotask Integration.
Figure 5: The Authenticate section (click to enlarge)
Datto recommends you utilize an API username and password and remove the ability to expire a password.
A ticket category determines the layout of the Ticket Detail and New/Edit Ticket pages, shows you the available fields, and informs you of the available picklist options.
You can choose any available category from the Ticket Category drop-down (Figure 6). The ticket settings will automatically populate based on the category selected.
In addition to the category-specific preset settings, this section lets you customize your integration further through individual drop-down boxes. When you finish configuring your settings, click Save Settings.
Manage Device Settings
This section contains a list of all integrated Datto devices, which you can sort by the following criteria:
- Device Name
- Serial Number
- Device Model
- Autotask Company Name
- Integration Enabled
Click the pencil icon on the far right to customize the default options for specific devices (Figure 8).
Figure 8: The Manage Device Settings section (click to enlarge)
If this is a first-time set up for an individual device, select the device name from the Manage Device Settings section of the page. In the following dialog box, populate the Autotask Company Name field, as shown in Figure 10.
Configuring device alerts
The Datto Device and Agent Alerts settings allow you to define where the integration should send each type of alert. There are three options for each alert type:
- Email: This setting sends the alert via email, but it will not create a ticket in Autotask. If the email address for alerting is your support address, you may receive a ticket due to a redirect to Autotask's incoming email processing system. These tickets would not respect the configuration settings from the device (Company, Contact, etc.)
- Autotask: This setting creates a ticket in Autotask via a backend connection using the resource entered earlier during authentication, but it will not send an email. You must have an email address entered for Device & Agent alerts to utilize this setting.
- Both: This setting creates a ticket in Autotask and sends an email to the address you specify. Due to incoming email processing in Autotask, you may get duplicate tickets if the email address is the support address.
For more information on configuring Device Alerts, visit the SIRIS, ALTO, and NAS: Configuring email alerts for Datto backup devices in the Partner Portal article.
For more information on configuring Agent Alerts, visit the SIRIS, ALTO, and NAS: Configuring alert, warning, and log digest emails on a Datto Appliance article.
Configure Autotask PSA
After the initial configuration in the Datto Partner Portal, you must configure further
settings in Autotask PSA.
1. Log into Autotask PSA.
2. Move your cursor over the Autotask Menu icon → Admin → Extensions & Integrations (from the sidebar menu).
3. Expand the section labeled Datto, then click Advanced Datto Integration (Figure 13).
Resource permissions in Datto Autotask PSA
You must individually enable PSA resources to use the Advanced Datto Integration. You allow permissions on the Advanced Datto Integration page. This page lists all active resources and displays their default department, security level, and primary location.
Resources with permission to access Datto will be able to see:
- Links on Ticket pages and grids
- Links on the Configuration Item pages and grids
- The CRM Configuration Item Mapping page
Configuring resource permissions:
To set resource permissions, visit the following online help article: Resource permissions for the advanced Datto Integration.
Datto Alert Ticket and Configuration Item in Autotask PSA
When the integration is configured, Datto Autotask PSA creates an alert ticket. The following Datto-specific information is available on the Ticket page by default:
Ticket Category: Datto Alert
Ticket Type: Alert
Datto Device Insight: This insight displays a variety of details about the Datto device. The icons at the top, from left to right, allow you to:
- Navigate to the Device Web Interface to remotely connect to the device
- Open the Device at a Glance page to see an overview of the device
Configuration Item Insight: This insight displays a variety of details about the configuration item.
Click the name of the configuration to open the Edit Configuration Item page. This page displays the nightly status information shared by the Datto device.
The Datto Alert tab in Autotask PSA
Two new Datto-specific tabs are available in Datto Autotask PSA: Datto Alerts and Datto Devices. Both tabs are configured based on the device data synced from Datto to Autotask PSA.
Accessing the Datto Alerts screen
1. From the Autotask PSA dashboard, click the + sign in the tab strip, or click the dashboard icon, then select Add new tab.
2. Select Start with a copy of a default tab.
3. Click Datto Alerts or Datto Devices, then click Finish.
On the Datto Alerts tab, you will see widgets that display tickets generated from alerts, broken down by various metrics. You will also see configuration items created from Datto devices.