This article describes the process to disable CompactOS on Windows 10 operating systems.
- Microsoft Windows 10 (all versions)
- Rapid Rollback
Microsoft's CompactOS feature is currently incompatible with the Datto Rapid Rollback utility. To reliably perform a rollback, you will need to disable the feature on your target hardware before performing the restore.
Performing a Rapid Rollback from any previous snapshot taken when CompactOS was enabled on the production machine may produce unreliable results. To ensure a successful restore, CompactOS must be disabled on both the production machine and in the snapshot.
1. Determine if CompactOS is enabled on the target hardware by using the command
compact.exe /compactos:query from a Windows Command Prompt session on the production machine.
2. If the feature is enabled, you will see the following output:
Figure 1: CompactOS enabled
3. Disable the feature by using the command
4. Attempt the rollback again.